Booking Through Thursday
On the workout front, I have actually worked out every day this week--alternating cardio with abs--I'm still sore but it's not as bad. I'm soldiering on :)
I took my first trip into a yarn store yesterday. I had two Knitting Pure and Simple patterns I was looking for and String had them. I put my blinders on--looking at nothing but patterns and books, went in, grabbed the two patterns, paid for them, and ran out--seriously.
Have a great weekend--Stashalongers, I'll be popping through starting tomorrow(as usual)!
Booking Through Thursday
I took my first trip into a yarn store yesterday. I had two Knitting Pure and Simple patterns I was looking for and String had them. I put my blinders on--looking at nothing but patterns and books, went in, grabbed the two patterns, paid for them, and ran out--seriously.
Have a great weekend--Stashalongers, I'll be popping through starting tomorrow(as usual)!
Booking Through Thursday
I'm thinking here of any story that is split into more than one volume, stories such as Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, Rowling's Harry Potter volumes, Eddings' Belgariad, to name just a few. Christie's Hercule Perot stories do not count, nor do Gardner's Sherlock Holmes stories, as the reader can consume them in any order. Savvy?
- Do you enjoy reading multi-volume stories? Oh yes, as long as the story maintains some consistency and doesn't get too wierd. I'm thinking of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series--I made it through the first 5 or 6 then it lost me--the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series has been getting dangerously close to doing the same thing--although honestly I'm too in love with Richard and Asher to completely bail on the series even if Anita has completely gone over the edge and is now for everything she was against at the beginning of the series(I mean who won't she sleep with--THAT should be the topic of one of the books), but I digress. I actually prefer series books to most others anymore. I find that when I read a single volume piece I'm always left with questions--there is a smaller chance of that in a multi volume work.
- Do you prefer the shorter stories that are done in two or three volumes, or do you willingly go for longer tales? I like both--I think it's the quality of the story that keeps me reading not the length of the series.
- What do you like/dislike about these long tales? As I said above, I don't like it when a series goes into some sort of bizarro tangent or gets too "out there". I also don't like the fact that you usually have to wait forever for the next book in the series to come out--if it's a newer one. I love the fact that you really get to know the characters(at least if the author is any good) it's always like getting together with old friends when a new book in a series comes out. I find it's much more fulfilling to reread series books as well--I always glean new information each time I reread one.
Comments
Hooray for the exercising! I've been having a good week for health and fitness myself. Now if only I could stop working such long hours and start sleeping logner ones, I might actually get some knitting and blogging in...
Two of the yarn studios in the area are having a Valentine's Sale - only it's on Feb 12, not the 14th, (Sunday vs Tuesday) so I want to know if I can take my AHHHHHH day on the 12th. (I might not even get anything, but I want to be prepared if there is any must have yarn!)
The flyer says Sweet Deals and Free Chocolate - how can I not go?
Anyway - can I celebrate the 14th on 12th, can I, can I, can I, PLEASE?!?
My husband is now reading the Belgariad for the 10th time I think. I actually prefer series books, because if there isn't a second book, I'm always sad to say goodbye to a character that I love. The problem is that with too many books, the author seems to run out of ideas, and it eather gets really boring, or very strange.
Congratulations on making it out of the yarn store without yarn. Inevitably if I so much as walk into Hobby Lobby, much less a real yarn store, I'm in trouble.
I will be posting a progress picture on my blog tonight. We'll be in the car for 4 hours today, so I think I may finish the baby cardigan on the road. Just wanted to let you know for the stashalong update.
I love hearing what other readers read! Thanks