Oh, and while it's on my mind. . .

My 20 year high school reunion was last weekend.

I did not go--for any number reasons; like Little Diva started school the Monday after, it was out of state, I disliked most of the people in my graduating class, and it was high school, who cares?

My friend(whom I've known since 7th grade) went with her family. I said, "If you see anyone from band, say 'hi' for me." She did and happened to mention something about me knitting. The person she was talking to was incredulous--"Kim knits?!?!? Kim. . . who listened to Depeche Mode?" I believe was the general sentiment. As if I'm one step away from the old folks home or something?

I just find it amusing that people react that way. I find it even more amusing because compared to what a little conformist I was in high school knitting would seem like an even MORE unlikely hobby for me now. And musically, he'd probably have a stroke if he knew how I've "branched out" musically.

Here's my musical time line from like 5th grade until now:
Shawn Cassidy/the Osmonds(5th grade or younger remember), Barry Manilow/Bee Gees(again, pre-middle school), Duran Duran(middle school through high school), Depeche Mode(high school through the present), Sting/the Police/Rush, the Cure(again still listening), Nine Inch Nails(college through present), and currently anything loud and "ragey".

Maybe because I know so many knitters and the varied backgrounds we all have, it wouldn't strike me as odd that anyone was a knitter. So, does anyone else have people who think it's nuts that you knit? (and I don't mean people who live with you and/or have seen your stash or general knitting craziness--I mean people who you knew before you knit or before you went over the edge from casual knitter to KNITTER)

Comments

Chris said…
I'm not seeing how Depeche Mode precludes knitting, myself! Hee hee. Hmm, I haven't run into anyone for ages who doesn't know that I knit, or met me since I started knitting....
Mari said…
Depeche Mode Fans & Knitters unite! :)
Stitch-n-Snitch said…
Definitely DM knitters unite! Someone ought to start us a Ravelry group since we're so scarce--ha! :)
Anonymous said…
I guess people don't really think of knitting as the "IN" thing now. My dad always laughs when I bring one of my projects to the house and just about always has a remark about it like "Here comes granny with her knitting". I think he does that just to get under my skin sometimes.
I agree with Mrs. S-N-S there ought to be a group since there are so few of us!! (hint of sarcasm there)
michaele said…
I've encountered that reaction, too. I think those people just didn't know that I was a crocheter al those years - so knitting seems like a shock to them, but it's a natural progression to me.
WandaWoman said…
One of my friends from college, who knew I was getting into knitting when I first started. She moved out here a few years ago, maybe 3 years now and she really did not understand as I've become a KNITTER. Meeting you guys and hanging out a lot more regularly really sent my knitting into the stratosphere. She just thinks it's funny, doesn't really understand it, but oh well.
Laura said…
No one I went to grade school with should be surprised that I knit. I used to take my crochet projects to school with me. Then in high school I crocheted afghans, made needlepoint pillows, quilt squares, for home-ec credits. Uh, anyone who's surprised that I knit now wasn't actually paying attention to me back then. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Fall Goals

Stashalong--Sign ups end Jan.1

Memory Lane