I need more time. . .

I have been thinking about time recently. When I was single I thought I didn't have enough time to do the things I wanted to do(I let trivial things get in the way), when I first got married I thought I didn't have enough time to do the things I wanted to do(working full time plus learning the whole "share your life with another person" thing was a challenge), then I had kids--now I REALLY know what it's like not to have enough time to do the things I want to do(and I'm sure it will be even worse once I go back to work).

I need more time in the day--at least 6 more hours(preferably daylight hours). I love to knit, stitch, read, and exercise. Right now exercise has taken a good chunk out of my daily "free time" because I have to lose 20 pounds in order to help my BP and I am not naive enough to believe that I'll be able to stop exercising after I lose that weight(how will it stay off if I quit?), plus I really enjoy it(although not in the large doses I'll be doing over the next few months). Reading I usually fit in before I go to sleep, so that isn't really what I need more time for. Knitting and stitching are getting pushed to the side because of my current health issues. Knitting is something I am still able to pull out and work on "on the fly", but stitching is hard to just pull out, put a few stitches in, then put away. Stitching really requires blocks of time to make progress which, to me, is what makes it rewarding and infuriating at the same time.

Of course the above are things I "love" to do. Now everyone knows about the things you "have" to do. Like take care of your family and home, clean(which is usually the first thing to go when I need more time for other things but you can only do that for so long before your house becomes a disaster), do laundry, cook, get Little Diva to school, spend time with everyone so they don't feel I'm bailing on them for my hobbies, etc. My family(read my mother) has suggested that I exercise with the kids. First, this is coming from a stick of a woman who has NEVER exercised(she doesn't like to sweat). Second, I have always been a solitary exerciser(I enjoy step, kickboxing, aerobics, weight training, and I'm getting into running)--I like to push myself and I can't do that if I have Diva and Rage distracting me(I already feel bad for kicking Rage in the head while I was kickboxing the other day--he's fine by the way, I just skimmed him). Third, I am getting back into the exercise thing after it turned into a sporadic, at best, activity and I don't know about you but when I start back into a consistent exercise routine I am sore and grumpy for about the first 4-6 weeks--which doesn't make for good company. I do take walks with them, but walking has never been a good aerobic activity for me--my heart rate never goes high enough, even when I'm pushing the loaded double stroller.

If you are single or married without kiddos--find time to do the things you enjoy. And if you are married with little kiddos please tell me how you find time to "do it all".

So if I could have one Birthday wish granted--besides being able to buy yarn--it would be about six more hours in the day :)


Booking Through Thursday



  1. Are you currently collecting any authors? Why? Oh yes! Why? Because I usually read series books. If I find an author I really like I HAVE to read everything they have ever written(in order)--it's another one of my potential OCD things I think ;) Right now I collect Laurell Hamilton(I have way too much invested in those characters not to keep reading), Sherrilyn Kenyon(but only one of her series), JKRowling(I'm now getting her books from different countries), Terry Goodkind(although I quit buying his books after the 5th or 6th in the Sword of Truth Series), Anne Rice(although I haven't been able to keep up with her as of late), and Chris Paolini(although he only has two books out). I'm always looking for new authors to add to the list--I have Anne Bishop, David Eddings, Jennifer Roberson, and potentially Mercedes Lackey(a lot of people have suggested her books to me) on deck.


  2. Do you have all of their books? If not, why not? Yes, except for the exceptions listed above.


  3. Did you buy all the books in the collection at the same time, or did you buy a book here, a book there? Mostly here or there--I usually have to read the first book in the series and if it grabs me then I order the rest.


  4. Have you read the whole collection? If not, why not? Yes for Laurell Hamilton, JKRowling, and Chris Paolini. No, for Terry Goodkind and Sherrilyn Kenyon(I have read all of her Dark Hunter books but none of her other works). I also don't usually read the short stories some of these authors publish in compilation type books.

Comments

Ramona said…
Happy Birthday! When you find the answer let me know.
Knit Spot* said…
Ack!! How could I forget your birthday!!?!! I am so bad! I hope your wishes come true - although I wouldn't hold my breath for the six more hours.... LOL
Have a fantastic day!!! Many more!
Samantha said…
Happy Birthday... from a lurker. I myself have the kids, the crafts, the hubby, and the full time job- and my goal is 8 extra hours everyday. So, if you work it out, let me know. Maybe one of those time turner things from harry potter...

Seriously, though, it's really hard. I feel like something always suffers. We did splurge and hire cleaners once a month when I went back to work...
Stephanie said…
I hear you about the time thing. It's one of those "if I only knew then what I know now" things! I wish I could reclaim all of those wasted hours from my teens and twenties. :(

I love David Eddings. How about Nancy Springer too? Her series remind me a bit of Eddings.
Chris said…
Happy Birthday?! I think it's just a given that there's never enough time, no matter what life stage you're at!

I enjoyed seeing which series you like to read.
Yes, do try Mercedes Lackey. I particularly like her fairy tale fantasies. And Patricia A. McKillip is good too, but they are motly stand alones, not series.

Happy Birthday and let me know the secret if you figure out the time thing!
chris said…
Happy Birthday, Kim!! :-) I certainly hear you on your time wish. I wish I knew the secret to being able to do it all, but I do have one shortcut which affords a little more knitting time... cleaning only becomes mandatory when your home gets condemned by the Health Department- otherwise, you're a-okay. ;-) Just kidding! I'm with Sock-it-to-me above... I'm all ears if you figure out the time thing!! Take care and hope you're having a wonderful birthday! :-)
Stitch-n-Snitch said…
Happy Birthday, and know that the rest of us can't find time to do all that we want to do, either! ;)
Chris said…
Thanks for cutting me leeway in my comments, Kim - but I sealed my fate by ordering some Brooklyn Handspun sock yarn... Heh, my friend Jeanne never thought I'd make it this long - how well she knows me!!

You're staying on my bloglines anyway. :)
jen said…
Hey there Kim! Fun meme. Hey -- I have a question for you -- could you email me a note when you get a chance, and I'll explain in detail? Thanks! (that's me, http://jeniferknits.blogdrive.com!)
Andrea said…
Hey, you, happy belated birthday!!!

And thanks for the advice about finding time to do the things you enjoy if you're single and have no kids. Lately, I don't do much of anything that I enjoy, I just work constantly, and that SUCKS.

I will say that you always impress me with the amazing amount that you accomplish. I can't even seem to find time to do my dishes or one single load of laundry, much less knit or read or do anything like that lately.
Montana said…
Happy Birthday!

You might try R.A. McAvoy (Lens of the World, Damiano, Tea with the Black Dragon).

I totally admire moms with kids - this means you!
Jerry & Maxy said…
Happy Birthday!!! And I think you teach HS English, right. There's an opening here, a DPS charter school:
http://www.scienceandtech.org/jobs.html
Jacqueline said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my rocking SP6!

Go do the things you want to.


andeatcake.
Anonymous said…
Happy Birthday Kim... a bit late. It looks like we almost share the day!! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Stashalong--Sign ups end Jan.1

Stashalong--Week 2 of 13

Out of Town