The Countdown Begins and SBQ
Stashalongers--first off--WOW! I am blown away by all the people that already signed up--thanks :) I know how hard it is to "not" buy yarn--especially when you are making an effort not to--hee hee. I figure that I'll be strong through January, February I'll start to waver, and March will be downright difficult. Enjoy tomorrow and Saturday--finish any last minute ordering and stocking up :)
A few thoughts on some comments:
Andrea: No pressure to finish too many things(maybe finish something you have on the needles--like, I don't know, Rogue for example)--no pressure though LOL) I don't think some things are finishable(is that even a word?) in three months.
Wanda: Buying yarn you had on hold--not a problem--I mean you "have" to buy some yarn with that first paycheck, right?
Kate: My husband is beyond thrilled that I'm on a yarn diet--of course, he's not thinking ahead--shouldn't tax refunds be here by the end of March ;)
Joanne: No problem getting stuff for your classes and designing--especially if there is something you're designing that we can all knit on come April! I think that if we did go another 3 months we would have to add the ability to take one or two days off for "stash enhancement"--I just want to get through the first three months and see where I am at after that LOL :)
Michelle: You are a braver soul than I--a whole year!!--there is no way I'll make it that long :)
Ruth: It's one of my resolutions too--that's why I wanted to do this. I need to broadcast it to keep myself accountable :)
Valerie: You need a bigger apartment OR you could use your stash creatively--as furniture perhaps?
Ronda: I'm worried if 3 months is enough to make a dent too--that's why I'm keeping to door open to add another 3.
Shara: It wouldn't be so bad if you were sleeping on cashmere or alpaca :)
Margene: Since there is no way for me to actually police everyone--barring a glaring post to the effect of "Look at all this fabulous yarn I just bought" I trust you and the gift certificate is perfect because you got it before the 1st--so technically it's already purchased stash, right?
Hanne and the second Chris: I need your blog address so I can add you to the knitalong--thanks.
aloha :)
This week's SBQ was suggested by Nancy (http://crossesnkisses.blogspot.com/ ) and is:
How do you balance your stitching time with your other obligations such as work, household chores, etc.?
Not very well if the truth be known. Stitching, for me, requires a lot of concentration which usually means I can't do it well if I'm tired. I have a 5 and 3 year old so daytime stitching is out--sometimes if the 5 year old is at school and the 3 year old is sleeping I get some stitching done but 3 year old nap days are getting fewer and farther between. Stitching at night is usually a problem too, because I can't concentrate if I'm tired. Usually when I really want to do a good block of stitching I do it at night until my eyes and/or mind can't take it anymore. Basically, I fit it in when I can--even if other things have to take a backseat.
A post-holiday meme lifted from Knitting, with Dogs
Four jobs you've had in your life: Middle/High School English/Reading Teacher, Adult GED instructor, Retail store clerk, Salad Bar attendant
Four movies you could watch over and over: The Extended Versions of Lord of the Rings, The Harry Potter Movies, Kevin Smith's movies(esp. Clerks and Dogma), Finding Nemo
Four places you've lived: New York, Texas, Hawaii, Utah
Four TV shows you love to watch: The Office, Real Time with Bill Maher, Six Feet Under(even though it's over now), Lost
Four places you've been on vacation: Disney World, Disneyland, Maui, Las Vegas
Four websites you visit daily: Bloglines, HAED Bulletin Board, mine(because there are links there to other places I like), Barnes and Noble
Four of your favorite foods: sushi, red velvet cake, calamari, popcorn
Four places you'd rather be: Hawaii, Disney World, Needlepoint Joint, On a tropical beach
A few thoughts on some comments:
Andrea: No pressure to finish too many things(maybe finish something you have on the needles--like, I don't know, Rogue for example)--no pressure though LOL) I don't think some things are finishable(is that even a word?) in three months.
Wanda: Buying yarn you had on hold--not a problem--I mean you "have" to buy some yarn with that first paycheck, right?
Kate: My husband is beyond thrilled that I'm on a yarn diet--of course, he's not thinking ahead--shouldn't tax refunds be here by the end of March ;)
Joanne: No problem getting stuff for your classes and designing--especially if there is something you're designing that we can all knit on come April! I think that if we did go another 3 months we would have to add the ability to take one or two days off for "stash enhancement"--I just want to get through the first three months and see where I am at after that LOL :)
Michelle: You are a braver soul than I--a whole year!!--there is no way I'll make it that long :)
Ruth: It's one of my resolutions too--that's why I wanted to do this. I need to broadcast it to keep myself accountable :)
Valerie: You need a bigger apartment OR you could use your stash creatively--as furniture perhaps?
Ronda: I'm worried if 3 months is enough to make a dent too--that's why I'm keeping to door open to add another 3.
Shara: It wouldn't be so bad if you were sleeping on cashmere or alpaca :)
Margene: Since there is no way for me to actually police everyone--barring a glaring post to the effect of "Look at all this fabulous yarn I just bought" I trust you and the gift certificate is perfect because you got it before the 1st--so technically it's already purchased stash, right?
Hanne and the second Chris: I need your blog address so I can add you to the knitalong--thanks.
aloha :)
This week's SBQ was suggested by Nancy (http://crossesnkisses.blogspot.com/ ) and is:
How do you balance your stitching time with your other obligations such as work, household chores, etc.?
Not very well if the truth be known. Stitching, for me, requires a lot of concentration which usually means I can't do it well if I'm tired. I have a 5 and 3 year old so daytime stitching is out--sometimes if the 5 year old is at school and the 3 year old is sleeping I get some stitching done but 3 year old nap days are getting fewer and farther between. Stitching at night is usually a problem too, because I can't concentrate if I'm tired. Usually when I really want to do a good block of stitching I do it at night until my eyes and/or mind can't take it anymore. Basically, I fit it in when I can--even if other things have to take a backseat.
A post-holiday meme lifted from Knitting, with Dogs
Four jobs you've had in your life: Middle/High School English/Reading Teacher, Adult GED instructor, Retail store clerk, Salad Bar attendant
Four movies you could watch over and over: The Extended Versions of Lord of the Rings, The Harry Potter Movies, Kevin Smith's movies(esp. Clerks and Dogma), Finding Nemo
Four places you've lived: New York, Texas, Hawaii, Utah
Four TV shows you love to watch: The Office, Real Time with Bill Maher, Six Feet Under(even though it's over now), Lost
Four places you've been on vacation: Disney World, Disneyland, Maui, Las Vegas
Four websites you visit daily: Bloglines, HAED Bulletin Board, mine(because there are links there to other places I like), Barnes and Noble
Four of your favorite foods: sushi, red velvet cake, calamari, popcorn
Four places you'd rather be: Hawaii, Disney World, Needlepoint Joint, On a tropical beach
Comments
I see we have many things in common on your meme -- I love The Office and Lost, sushi and red velvet cake, and I would SO like to be on a tropical beach right now... But at least I will go get to be at the Needlepoint Joint on your behalf. So you'll be there in spirit!!
You receieved such a great response to the Stashalong - have you considered starting a blog specifically for it? Would save you the task of posting 20 or so updates each week... Just a thought!