Great friends, good food, and knitting
In the late summer of 2003 I had been struggling along with crochet. I had made two baby blankets that looked great and I had made numerous other things that did not. I taught myself the craft so I'm sure there are some major things I don't quite grasp--hence the need to basically make things that are square. I wanted a change--I wanted to knit, but there was no way I could teach myself. That's when I went to The Needlepoint Joint in Ogden, Utah to inquire about taking a beginning knitting class.
Little did I know that taking that class in October 2003 would change my life(not in the Oprah or Dr. Phil "change my life" way, but change it for the better none the less). After that class I bought enough yarn to make a baby blanket and when that was finished, I decided to try my hand at a sweater from the Stitch and Bitch book. I went back to the shop to order my Lamb's Pride bulky for the sweater and as I was checking out I happened to mention that I would probably be coming in for help. That's when I was told about a knitting group that would be starting on Thursday nights from 6-8 and that I was more than welcome to come.
I was afraid to attend at first; I was positive that the people in that group had been knitting forever and would definitely look down on and/or be annoyed by the "newbie" who dared to join their midst. I couldn't have been more wrong. Our group started out small--just 4 or 5 people--but it gradually grew and now I would guess there are at least 10-12 regulars with maybe 25 or so that show up occasionally. We have all ranges of ability and professions and I couldn't be more proud to be one of them. I have learned so much from everyone in that group--seeing everyone's progress and current projects; getting help with new techniques( I remember the night in spring 2004 when I learned to turn my first heel--how many socks have I made since then?); and talking about anything and everything( and I do mean everything!). They are a great bunch of people.
We just celebrated our belated one year anniversary and even though I will not be around much longer(as I have to move out of state) I wanted each and every one of them to know that they have made a difference in my life. Their friendship, expertise, and fellowship means the world to me. Maybe someday I'll have 1/10th the talent and expertise as Randy or Laurie--dare to dream!!!! :)
All of you that belong to a knitting group have probably had similar experiences and those of you that don't--get out there and try to find one OR start your own--you won't regret it!!
Aloha and happy knitting!!
Little did I know that taking that class in October 2003 would change my life(not in the Oprah or Dr. Phil "change my life" way, but change it for the better none the less). After that class I bought enough yarn to make a baby blanket and when that was finished, I decided to try my hand at a sweater from the Stitch and Bitch book. I went back to the shop to order my Lamb's Pride bulky for the sweater and as I was checking out I happened to mention that I would probably be coming in for help. That's when I was told about a knitting group that would be starting on Thursday nights from 6-8 and that I was more than welcome to come.
I was afraid to attend at first; I was positive that the people in that group had been knitting forever and would definitely look down on and/or be annoyed by the "newbie" who dared to join their midst. I couldn't have been more wrong. Our group started out small--just 4 or 5 people--but it gradually grew and now I would guess there are at least 10-12 regulars with maybe 25 or so that show up occasionally. We have all ranges of ability and professions and I couldn't be more proud to be one of them. I have learned so much from everyone in that group--seeing everyone's progress and current projects; getting help with new techniques( I remember the night in spring 2004 when I learned to turn my first heel--how many socks have I made since then?); and talking about anything and everything( and I do mean everything!). They are a great bunch of people.
We just celebrated our belated one year anniversary and even though I will not be around much longer(as I have to move out of state) I wanted each and every one of them to know that they have made a difference in my life. Their friendship, expertise, and fellowship means the world to me. Maybe someday I'll have 1/10th the talent and expertise as Randy or Laurie--dare to dream!!!! :)
All of you that belong to a knitting group have probably had similar experiences and those of you that don't--get out there and try to find one OR start your own--you won't regret it!!
Aloha and happy knitting!!
Comments
I know what you mean about knitting on Thursdays -- it's the most important part of my week!