Monday, July 18, 2011

Where has summer gone?

I cannot believe that it is mid way through July already!

For the past couple of summers my kiddos and I make a list of goals we want to accomplish over the break; in addition, I have them work out of the Summer Bridge workbooks and read during the weekdays over the summer. I think all of this gives them some structure and keeps the wheels turning in their brains(and mine) when school is out.

My goal list has not progressed as fast as I would like.

I have been super focused on working out since last August--I had been working out 6 days a week without fail. Notice the operative word "had". On June 16 I started feeling a sharp pain on the outside of my right knee--it was sharp enough that I thought, "Kim, you need to take a break and rest that leg." So that's what I did. For about a month I did not workout and I iced my knee quite a bit in the first couple of weeks. I also think I could buy stock in Advil at this point. I felt like I could feel myself getting fatter and a lot of my old habits came back with a vengeance. I started attempting to workout again on July 10. I went back to my Turbo Fire/Turbo Jam workouts mixing cardio and strength with a 2 day on/1 day off schedule. I am also making sure that I am not jumping(which stinks because I LOVE plyo jumps). My knee, however, is not healed. One thing was consistent during my time off from exercise--my knee hurt whenever I walked upstairs and guess what? It still does. SO I think it is time I bite the bullet and get this knee checked out.

On the crafting front, I have accomplished a few things(as evidenced in posts here) but not nearly as much as I wanted to. A side effect of the no workout thing is that I have zero energy but that is coming back now. I am hoping to finish my first quilt top(a strip quilt for me), Rage's second sock, and the Bramble and the Rose cross stitch.

On the home front, I want to go through every closet and attempt to get rid of clutter; then I want to tackle our basement!

I also want Rage to learn how to ride a bike(which was also put on hold because I cannot run next to one to help him), so we can all ride bikes together.

The kiddos start school in about 3 weeks so we shall see how much we get done.

Happy summer everyone! Get out there in the heat and enjoy :)

1 comment:

CynCyn said...

OH NO, Kim!! But knee is ok with walking? What about swimming or elliptical type stuff? I hope doctor has a quick fix for you.