Thursday, October 01, 2009

Insanity--Month 1





On September 1, I started the newest Beachbody workout series, Insanity.

What drew me to it?

Well, I had completed one rotation of P90X and I loved it. P90X is definitely geared towards people who want to build muscle and, honestly, you need to already be at your goal weight to really see great results--not that I didn't get great results with P90X, the gains I got in strength were amazing and more than worth the price--but I really wanted something that would really challenge me AND help me burn off some fat.

I had purchased Turbo Jam which is a great beginner/intermediate type cardio workout--perfect for when I want to work up a good sweat but don't want to kill myself. For the month of August I pretty much did at least 2 Turbo Jam workouts per day--it was fun but not at all challenging.

One day I was reading through my bloglines feeds and came across this post by the Fitness Freak. As soon as I saw the words "cardio based" I was thrilled. So then I checked it out at Beachbody and DVR'd the informercial. That was all it took. I ordered it a few days later.

I LOVE insane workouts(I think this may be a family thing--my two younger siblings are multiple marathoners and one is also a triathlete--neither of which is my cup of tea--but the need for an insane challenge seems to be in the blood). In my mind if you aren't drenched in sweat and ready to keel over after a workout, then you haven't worked out. If I'm going to take time out of my day to exercise, I want a lot of bang for my buck so I decided to give Insanity my best shot.

Month 1--at a glance:

1September09--I got the DVDs last night and jumped right in today with the Fit Test AND Plyo Cardio Circuit. The fit test went much better than I thought. During my preview(always preview a workout before you do it) I pinpointed the things that would be hard(and easier) for me and I wasn't wrong. Plyo Cardio Circuit was TOUGH. I had to take a few breaks but I didn't quit. My favorite part was actually watching quite a few of the participants collapse on the floor--that's when you know it's going to be good; I mean if the people doing the video can't make it through then you don't feel as bad when you need a few breaks. ;)

6September09--I finished week 1 of Insanity and I am enjoying my rest day today. Some thoughts on week 1. Every workout is a CHALLENGE--every one. I'm still not able to get completely through each workout without taking a few breaks to catch my breath. I really have to psych myself up for each workout and then push my way through it--it's definitely not a workout you can do on "autopilot". Hopefully by the end I can push through at least a couple of the workouts without any breaks.

30Sept09--I'm in the middle of my recovery week right now and it is a welcome break although I have a more than healthy fear of the longer workouts in month two. The first month was hard, very hard and it doesn't let up--mostly because you are constantly pushing yourself harder. I have noticed changes: I don't have to take as many breaks, my fit test results improved, and my clothes feel looser. My only complaint is that I have gained 5 pounds but that is not the fault of the program it's my fault because I am not following the included eating plan, or any eating plan for that matter. My goal in month two is to clamp down a bit more on eating and continue to "dig deeper".


"Insanity is to cardio what P90X is to weight training."--I read this on a blog and it is the absolute truth.

2 comments:

WandaWoman said...

Good luck with your fitness goals. Your comment about cardio and working out until you feel like you're about to keel over, hilarious! I feel like when I work out, but not always my desired goal!

Michelle said...

This post really inspired me. I love your intensity with the workouts. I notice that lately I've been phoning it in at the gym - I need to get back to giving 110% - because if I'm going to do it, I need to do it all the way. Thanks for the push!