Saturday, April 18, 2009

Oh Errata How I Despise Thee

So, I have been working on the Kai-Mei socks from Cookie A's new book, Sock Innovation, and I just happened to come across the errata page for this book. All 9 pages of it. There are only 15 patterns in the book. Now I understand that mistakes can be, and are, made during the publishing process but how is it that a book gets released and at about the same time pages of errata are released. Are you rushing to get the book into print, mistakes be damned? How can you ask people to spend money on your product when it is riddled with errors? In all honesty I'd rather have a book take longer to get published if it meant that patterns where checked and rechecked. I'm just curious how their editing process works over at Interweave. It's not like they don't have people over there who knit. It is frustrating, that's all I'm saying.

In case you were wondering, it hasn't messed up my sock because all the errata for that specific pattern are for the left sock and I'm currently working on the right.

3 comments:

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

9 pages of errata? That's horrible! I'm with you: give me the book AFTER it's been checked and rechecked (and rechecked)!!

Isela: Purling Sprite said...

I don't know how it works at Interweave but from my experience the author gives the file and then they either retype it or scan it because patterns that I have sent in error free come back with a ton of stuff that wasn't in there or worse with stuff missing.

With the people I have worked with they give the author about 1-3 months to write the content, design the patterns, knit the patterns, and then proof the entire book. I hear though that Interweave gives better timelines though.

Whatever you do, don't blame it all on the author...things happen in transit, lol.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

9 pages of errata does seem terribly excessive. It does make a person wonder if there was any editing done at all. I'm glad your knitting has gone unscathed thus far from the pattern mistakes!