Thursday, May 08, 2008

Favorite Books

I was fishing around one of my bookshelves the other day and found this: So Many Books So Little Time A Year of Passionate Reading by Sara Nelson.

This book does what I think any book should do, it made me love reading even more than I already do. One of the things I tried to impart to my students when I was teaching was a love of reading. And I tried to make them reflect on what they had read in one or more of the following ways:
**how does the book relate to something in your life?
**how does the book relate to something in the world?
**how does the book relate to another book you have read?

I remember vividly when I bought this book. I was up to my armpits in toddler/baby stuff including parenting magazines. An excerpt from this book was in one of the magazines I would sit and read at night after the kiddos went to sleep. I loved her style and I just had to read the book, so off I went to Barnes and Noble dot com and ordered it. It did not disappoint and to this day it is one of my favorite nonfiction books.

3 comments:

Chris said...

That's on my list of "to reads," as is Schwartz's "Ruined by Reading" (which I actually own).

Carrie K said...

I haven't read the book although I did have the bumper sticker.

The Barn Raising looks good!

CynCyn said...

Never heard of it... I thought you were gonna talk about Richard. I consider series "one book" b/c it's really just... installments of one big story.