Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Sock Knitting is Riddled with Danger People!



I decided I was going to make a pair of socks for Diva(Rage and DH have requested a pair too) and she picked this lovely fluorescent Opal colorway. It's innocuous enough, right?

Last night I sit down with Rage and Diva to watch Indiana Jones and start knitting away. Everything is going well until I drop one of my dpns and it goes into the recliner. It's happened before so I wasn't too stressed about it. I toss my knitting on the floor before climbing down myself to look under the chair. I can't see it right away but I hear it ping down to the floor. I reach around the chair for the lever to raise it so I can see under it and as I apply pressure to the lever I feel a sharp jab in my left knee.

Do you want to take a guess as to what it was?

It was one of the needles attached to sock that I threw on the floor. Apparently I was so focused on readjusting the chair that I didn't notice my knee coming down on the knitting. SO one of the dpns went INTO my leg--as in, about an inch and a half into my leg above my knee. Here's the thing. It didn't really hurt but it was surreal staring at a needle, attached to sock, embedded in my leg. I pulled it out which was kind of an out of body experience--cool but gross at the same time--put some neosporin and a band aid on it and went back to knitting.

Never fear. I went to the doctor this morning and got a tetanus shot just in case.

So moral of the story: WATCH WHERE YOU LEAVE YOUR NEEDLES!

14 comments:

Knit Eat Sleep said...

Oh my gosh, Kim.......OUCH!!! I bet that was surreal looking at your knitting sticking out of your leg.

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

Yikes!! Who knew sock knitting could be so dangerous? :)

Jeni said...

Ouch!!! Did you think about taking a picture before pulling it out?

Chris said...

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!

CynCyn said...

AYEGALY! Just imagining it in my head is hard enough, much less an actual picture! Glad you are ok and that it didn't do any permanent damage.

Sam said...

Whoa! I'm a little grossed out. ;o) Brings a whole new meaning to being attached to your knitting!

Laura said...

OMG, that sounds painful. Ouch! Heal fast.

StarSpry said...

Yikes, that's crazy! Glad it wasn't too bad. I, of course, was also wondering if you took a picture before pulling the needle out :D

Rima said...

Ouch!

Corwink said...

Glad to hear your ok. I can't even imagine that. Girl that is just crazy!

michaele said...

I've sat on sock needles before. Ouch!

TheBlackSheep said...

Ouch. Very ouch.

But just think, now you can join me and Mary Lou at Yarnerinas in The Painful Knitting Club. What consolation.

Get well soon!

WandaWoman said...

OMG, that is just horrible. That sounds so painful. I'm glad you were ok.

Knittin Ma said...

Yowzer! Making a note to myself to pay attention to where I put my needles.