Monday, April 07, 2008

Weekend Knitting

This turned into a very productive knitting weekend for me. I think it was all the inspiration I gleaned from the Harlot's visit to Denver on Friday night.


I finished one of the stabbing socks(as I now so lovingly refer to them). I made a lot of headway on it as I was waiting for the Harlot to speak.

I was also inspired to start something else this weekend. The Barn Raising Quilt from the Knitalong book. This is going to be quite an addictive pattern. My plan is to make a blanket entirely out of Socks that Rock but I started out with a couple of practice squares from my bag of sock scraps which Diva informed me would be great for a blanket for her to watch TV under, SO this project may turn into two blankets instead of one--it's not like I don't have enough sock yarn for about 15 of them ;) I think what I am really enjoying about it is that I can whip off a square while sitting and watching TV and since the pattern is so easy to memorize and the squares are so portable it is the perfect take along project. Oh, and did I mention I think it's awesome to have a washable blanket and that I'll be able to make something more "lasting" out of my sock yarn stash?



I think it would be great worked at any weight too in case you are not into knitting a blanket out of sock weight yarn(not that I can understand who wouldn't want to make a whole blanket on size 2s)--do you hear that Malabrigo and/or Noro junkies? I think it would be amazing worked out of those yarns and you wouldn't need to make as many squares. Or if you are not into seaming(and who is really?) you could make one giant square with scraps or all one color--especially with a heavier weight yarn.

So any takers? Anyone want to play along? Have I enabled anyone?

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm still obsessed with the idea we talked about on Friday. I haven't cast on for any but I have a whole jar of leftover sock yarns that I can begin with. I love how they look and it would be such a cool blanket.

Chris said...

That's a cool sock. Nice that there aren't any bloodstains on it. ;)

Have you seen Shelly Kang's sock yarn blanket? It's on Ravelry and is pretty cool.

Stacey said...

I'm so going through my STR stash tonight! I love the squares you've done already...and way to go Little Diva sneaking in another project from Mommy! :) I knew I liked that girl for a reason.

Stacey said...

Oh, I meant to ask...what size STR yarn are you using? I think that I own the most of the medium weight.

Stephanie said...

Funny! I'm already crocheting a sock yarn blanket - much faster than knitting I must say. I'm using the scraps from the sock yarn to knit - yep just as you said - an additional blanket that is just one big square of scraps. Great knitters think alike I guess. :)

mari said...

I have been saving all my left over sock yarn for just such a blanket. One of these days I will get started on some squares. :)

Sam said...

I'm in! I love the idea, and needed to find some way of tackling the mound of sock yarn before it reaches the rafters!
PS - love the stabbing sock

WandaWoman said...

Umm, I really should just get started on it. The commenter who mentioned Shelly Kang's sock squares pattern, well, Shelly Kang is the author of the patern in the Knitalong book.

My only problem is that all of my sock yarn isn't machine washable. But I suppose I could wash it in the machine, like I do everything else. I'm liking this idea. I think you've successfully enabled me. Besides squares are so addictive.

So are you gonna seam it for me? Heehee!

Mary-Kay said...

I think I'm in. Sounds so fun! Lot's of knitting, but darn fun!

Laura said...

I had to go looking on Ravelry, and found that I love that Barn Raising Quilt pattern. What fun! It would be fabulous out of just about any yarn. Me, though? I'd make individual squares, but a less portable project by attaching them to each other as I knit. ;-)

Shelly Kang said...

Hi, I'm the Shelly Kang of the mitered square blankie that has been popular on Ravelry lately. It sure is a fun project, and thanks for the mention - as far as I know I do not have any patterns in any books. What is this Knitalong book of which WandaWoman speaks? Is there another Shelly Kang out there knitting mitered squares?

Thanks!

Corwink said...

I am totally down with the squares. Must go look through my stash.