Wednesday, March 19, 2008

HAEDless Sampler SAL(3/12)--The Last Rites Edition

I had a fantastic stitching weekend. I completed the entire right border--top to bottom. I was a bit concerned at first when I noticed that I only had about 2 inches fabric allowance on the left side of the fabric. I called the framer I use and they said they could work with 2 inches so I soldiered on. When I reached the bottom, I found out that I barely had any fabric left(about 1.5 inches).

This.is.very.very.bad.news.

Long painful story short, I have to rip out EVERYTHING I have completed so far. That means over a skein of Caron Wildflowers is wasted; hopefully I can salvage the fabric. I honestly do not think I have the fortitude to restart this particular piece right now; I may change my mind by next month I do not know.

This really, really, really, really sucks. I started the piece just after Rage was born and clearly I was in a sleep deprived stupor and started off about 1.5 inches--which unfortunately I did not figure out until I picked the piece back up this year.

So bow your heads and join me in a moment of silence and last rites for my Provence Sampler--may she rest in piece.





(it's a clickable thumbnail)

**Update: Louanne and JM have talked me down from ripping it out just yet--it may be salvageable but I'm not entirely sure I can live with stitching on something so messed up.

I guess this was bound to happen at some point. I have been stitching for 27 years and this is the first time I have made such a major miscalculation.

9 comments:

Arthemise said...

Really, it's not a big problem. Most framers can deal with that amount of fabric along the edge. I've heard that you can sew muslin to it and do just fine. Don't give up on it!

StarSpry said...

That sucks! I really hope you can salvage it. It looks so good and I'd hate for you to have to rip it all out :(

Laura said...

No, no! Don't rip it out, gf. Like Michelle said, a little muslin can be sewn on the short side. It'll help the framer, and will never show once all done and in the frame.

Nicki said...

That's plenty of fabric to frame with! Don't rip it out. I am sooo stingy with my fabric and I've managed to frame stuff myself with that much spare - so I'm sure a professional will cope. Especially if you add an extra bit of fabric like Michelle says :)

Sam said...

Yeah, I'd be going to every framer in town until I got a more acceptable answer "of course madam we can work with 1.5 inches". I say don't rip it out. There has to be a solution.

CynCyn said...

isercfjoiwerlcjfuck! I'm gnashing my teeth in a show of solidarity, but I'm so glad you didn't rip. Even if it's un...frameable, it's kind of a memory to cherish (not the screw up, but the fact u um... needled on? right after Rage was born)

Rima said...

I am glad you did not rip. I am sure the finished piece will be just as great. This is crafting right?...and the mistakes make it all the more special.

Jenny said...

happy blogoversary!

WandaWoman said...

Don't rip madwoman! Keep going on! Finish and get it framed. You'll love it.

p.s. Happy Blogiversary too!