Friday, February 15, 2008

Knitting Progress

Miss Cynthia asked what I accomplished on the flight to and from Honolulu.

Well let me enlighten you all. When flying for over 7 hours with two young children, personal time for things like knitting, reading, zoning out, etc. are at a premium(ie. one or both of them needs to fall asleep and not on me). Mostly I colored, played cards, played various games bought specifically for the flight. I also adjusted headphones, took people to the potty, got snacks, explained about 1,000 times why the DVD player crapped out after two hours(they really need to make a DVD player with a battery that lasts for 8-12 hours just for this specific situation), and stuff like that. Luckily Rage passed out after a near meltdown after the DVD player died and I did find about an hour or so to knit. I alternated between my Jaywalker sock and my Trekking is for Necking scarf. This is actually the ONLY knitting I got done on my trip but I'm more than okay with that.


On the flight back I got zero knitting done because our flight left at 11:15pm, Diva and Rage were sleeping/Rage was sleeping on me, and I was in and out of sleep. I did read for a bit.

I'm looking forward to putting a little time into both projects this weekend in between stitching on my Provence Sampler.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Very nice. You are a brave woman to travel that far with little guys and gals. It's gotta be tough to hold still for that long. Sounds like it went ok though. And all of you survived. :D

Fríða said...

don´t american airlines have in-flight entertainment for kids? when you fly with Icelandair you can borrow videogames, there´s a special radio-channel with kids´ stuff on it and there´s TV for the whole flight with comedies and kids´ stuff on. besides they always bring the kids new colouring books, sticker books and all kinds of toys when you get on. so, no problem, the kids actually have fun most of the time.
best wishes from Iceland
Frida

Laura said...

Both projects are wonderful. Especially love the fun colors in that Jaywalker. Glad you got a little knitting time in, anyway. Welcome home.

CynCyn said...

I certainly didn't expect you to have knit up a whole new wardrobe or anything, but the thought of all that time... You'd think I would know better, since I flew to Hawaii with a 2 year old a few years ago. All I managed to do was pray for him to fall asleep! Love the color of the scarf!

Rima said...

Great projects....and I am a little partial to the socks!

WandaWoman said...

Haha, of course you didn't get as much knitting as you might have liked. But you did get a great trip to Hawaii out of the deal.

Sandra said...

Ooh! I love how your Trekking is for Necking scarf's turning out. I've got this queued but have dilly-dallied about starting it. I love the stitch pattern and that yarn is gorgeous!

michaele said...

I can't imagine what that must be like. A friend of mine used to regularly travel (without her hubby) from Prague to Seattle with two kids under 3. When she had the third, she made him come along. Her horror stories alone are effective birth control! ;)