Wednesday, February 13, 2008

5396

Miles, that is, OR 2698 miles each way. That's what the KiP family logged this weekend when we took a whirlwind trip across the Pacific to Oahu.

ProBowl 2008

Here's the backstory:

About three weeks ago DH called me to tell me he won a trip for two to the ProBowl. To say we were excited and shocked was an understatement, but we didn't stop with the trip for two we added Diva and Rage to the mix for a family trip. Hawaii is a very special place for our family. DH and I were married in Hawaii almost 10 years ago, we lived there for a couple of years(DH lived there longer), and Little Diva was born there. I was surprised we were able to make the plane flights work with such a short window to prepare, but everything worked out and last Thursday morning we took off.

We stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which is a beautiful place. DH and I kept commenting on how strange it was to be in Hawaii as tourists even after all this time(almost 8 years) it still feels like home to us. I was actually homesick as I sat and took everything in.

Morning Sun

I only had a couple of things I wanted to accomplish in Hawaii. One was climbing Diamond Head(the other was eating sushi at our favorite place and let me tell you we did A LOT of that!). The last time I did it I thought I was going to die but at the time I was unaware of the fact that I was pregnant with Diva. It's rated as an easy hike--easy distance and terrain wise. Climbing up about 1.25 miles with no shade and over 200 steps in about 80 degree weather(coming from 30ish degrees the day before) was just a little challenge for the KiP clan, BUT we did it and here's the view to prove it:

Honolulu from Diamond Head

Diva and Rage saw the beach for the first time and they were thrilled beyond all words. Diva, my Hawaiian baby, lived up to her birthplace and was ready to swim out as far as she could. I had to explain to her that the ocean is not like a pool and if you swim out too far it gets really deep and you can get swept away. Luckily Mother Ocean helped out by sweeping Diva back to shore every time she tried to venture out too far.

On the Beach
Thanks to the very friendly Japanese family who were very insistent about taking a picture of the three of us.

Saturday and Sunday were filled with beach and pool time while DH was golfing and attending the ProBowl with his cousin. On Monday, our last day there--we flew out at 11:15pm on Monday night, we spent the day driving around the island and showing the kiddos our old haunts. One of which was here:

Serenity Spot--overlooking Sandy Beach

When I needed a break during my lunch period or work period, I used to drive out here and take in the view. It still has the same effect. The ocean is such a calming presence for me I would get mesmerized for hours as I took all of it in--it was incredible to have the chance to do it again.

We also took the kiddos to Turtle Bay to show them were we got married and, as luck would have it, there were some pseudo big waves that day and that made a really big impression on Diva and Rage. Then we headed back to the airport and bid our Hawaii a fond Aloha!

Sunset

Back to reality, sigh.

9 comments:

StarSpry said...

Such beautiful pictures! I'm glad you had such a great weekend :D

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

OOH, I'm so envious. It looks like you had a fantastic trip, and everything was beautiful!

Becky said...

I would have sooooo loved a trip to the ProBowl! I'm green. Totally.

CynCyn said...

ooh! So much fun! What a treat to be able to go like that... glad you were able to see the old haunts with the kiddos! (psst... what did you knit on during the flight there and back?)

WandaWoman said...

Sweet! I'm glad you were able to go and everyone enjoyed the trip. Thanks for the picture of the view from Diamond Head, it's gorgeous and definitely worth the hike.

Stacey said...

That is the cutest picture of the three of you! You never have pictures of yourself on here!!

Corwink said...

It looks like you guys had a wonderful time! I can't wait to hear all about it at the next knit night.

TheBlackSheep said...

Nice! Looks like you had a great time, but then, it's Hawaii. *sigh* We went when I was 10 and it was just gorgeous. *sigh* It's one of the very few sunny places I would ever consider moving to. I'm really glad you got to go again! Must have been a real treat.

Andrea said...

wow, what a wonderful trip -- hooray for you guys! :)