Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Textured Blanket

aka. An exercise in dexterity.

I decided to knit a blanket for my cousin's second baby(due in November). She's having a boy and I wanted something masculine(ie. not lacy) and not boring. Well, I got my wish and then some with this bad boy:



I have one repeat done and I have about 15 more to do. The reason I'm going to be calling this my dexterity blanket is because it feels like my fingers are doing a workout while I'm knitting. EVERY row has something going on. EVERY row has a right-twist in it, EVERY row has some crazy knit/purl pattern that as of yet I haven't found a pattern to. It's a twelve row repeat pattern and there isn't a "tune out" row in there anywhere.

It's from one of the Vogue Knitting on the Go Baby Blanket books but I can't remember which one offhand. Looking at the picture and even the pattern you wouldn't think it would be THAT big of a challenge, but I'm thinking this one is not for the faint of heart.

I'm soldiering on--come what may!

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yikes! Better get some wrist support for knitting that bad boy!

WandaWoman said...

Yeah, well, you definitely like a challenge! Good on you for knitting your cousin a baby blanket!

Andrea said...

It looks like it will be quite lovely -- I hope your cousin will appreciate the level of effort going into it!

Laura said...

Great start, Kim! Pretty blue, too. :-)

Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Eeek - you are a brave woman, I don't know if I could stick it out with a blanket that complicated! =)