Sunday, August 19, 2007

Oh, and while it's on my mind. . .

My 20 year high school reunion was last weekend.

I did not go--for any number reasons; like Little Diva started school the Monday after, it was out of state, I disliked most of the people in my graduating class, and it was high school, who cares?

My friend(whom I've known since 7th grade) went with her family. I said, "If you see anyone from band, say 'hi' for me." She did and happened to mention something about me knitting. The person she was talking to was incredulous--"Kim knits?!?!? Kim. . . who listened to Depeche Mode?" I believe was the general sentiment. As if I'm one step away from the old folks home or something?

I just find it amusing that people react that way. I find it even more amusing because compared to what a little conformist I was in high school knitting would seem like an even MORE unlikely hobby for me now. And musically, he'd probably have a stroke if he knew how I've "branched out" musically.

Here's my musical time line from like 5th grade until now:
Shawn Cassidy/the Osmonds(5th grade or younger remember), Barry Manilow/Bee Gees(again, pre-middle school), Duran Duran(middle school through high school), Depeche Mode(high school through the present), Sting/the Police/Rush, the Cure(again still listening), Nine Inch Nails(college through present), and currently anything loud and "ragey".

Maybe because I know so many knitters and the varied backgrounds we all have, it wouldn't strike me as odd that anyone was a knitter. So, does anyone else have people who think it's nuts that you knit? (and I don't mean people who live with you and/or have seen your stash or general knitting craziness--I mean people who you knew before you knit or before you went over the edge from casual knitter to KNITTER)

7 comments:

Chris said...

I'm not seeing how Depeche Mode precludes knitting, myself! Hee hee. Hmm, I haven't run into anyone for ages who doesn't know that I knit, or met me since I started knitting....

mari said...

Depeche Mode Fans & Knitters unite! :)

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

Definitely DM knitters unite! Someone ought to start us a Ravelry group since we're so scarce--ha! :)

Cole said...

I guess people don't really think of knitting as the "IN" thing now. My dad always laughs when I bring one of my projects to the house and just about always has a remark about it like "Here comes granny with her knitting". I think he does that just to get under my skin sometimes.
I agree with Mrs. S-N-S there ought to be a group since there are so few of us!! (hint of sarcasm there)

Michaele said...

I've encountered that reaction, too. I think those people just didn't know that I was a crocheter al those years - so knitting seems like a shock to them, but it's a natural progression to me.

WandaWoman said...

One of my friends from college, who knew I was getting into knitting when I first started. She moved out here a few years ago, maybe 3 years now and she really did not understand as I've become a KNITTER. Meeting you guys and hanging out a lot more regularly really sent my knitting into the stratosphere. She just thinks it's funny, doesn't really understand it, but oh well.

Laura said...

No one I went to grade school with should be surprised that I knit. I used to take my crochet projects to school with me. Then in high school I crocheted afghans, made needlepoint pillows, quilt squares, for home-ec credits. Uh, anyone who's surprised that I knit now wasn't actually paying attention to me back then. LOL