Sunday, July 01, 2007

Mystery Stole 3--Paradise Lost

Saturday started out beautiful and sunny here in Colorado. The day promised to be HOT and with that in mind I put out the kiddos pool in the backyard and set up the table on the deck with the comfy chairs and the umbrella. I looked forward to a day in the sun with the kiddos swimming and me working on my Mystery Stole clue.

Things were moving along great--kids having fun. By lunch time I had completed the first 50 rows. I had thought briefly about putting in a lifeline but the decided I'd wait until I finished the whole clue. What.could.possibly.go.wrong.in.50.rows?

I worked sporadically throughout the afternoon and by dinner time I had reached row 76. I was marveling at the beauty of the pattern. And I loved my beads. I was having a great time.

After dinner I had some cleaning up to do. Diva and Rage asked me to go back into their pool. I said fine and we all headed back outside--the kiddos to the pool and me back to MS3. There was a nice breeze and it was getting cooler--perfect evening. Then it happened. . .

I was thrilled--I had made it to row 99. Things were going along beautifully until I reached the end of the row. I needed 2 stitches before my marker--I had one. I didn't panic though. I sat and studied my knitting and the pattern figuring I'd missed a yarn over or something. I couldn't figure it out so I decided to tink back the row and try again. Nope--still short a stitch. So I tinked back a couple of rows--let me just say that this, in retrospect, seems like a HUGE mistake. I was now short 3 stitches. Things went like this for a while--while the kiddos played blissfully unaware of the panic gripping their mother.

Then out of nowhere a HUGE gust of wind blew my pattern to the deck. Not a big deal you say? You would be right unless of course lying on top of the pattern was the tiny crochet hook which went sailing through the air--seemingly in slow motion--and with skill worthy of an Olympic diver, twisted and turned in the air and landed just perfectly on the deck. Perfectly, that is, if falling into a crack never to be seen again could be construed as perfect. I'm just thankful that I didn't have the beads open then--imagine losing those?!

So a couple of expletives left my mouth as I gathered up my stole and the kiddos and headed inside. After a cooling off period--ie. giving the kiddos a bath and getting them ready for bed--I sat back down with my stole and gave up. I.ripped.it.all.out.

So close, so very close.

Today I went to Joanns and got not one but 2 crochet hooks--maybe I should invest in about 20 of them. And what was my first clue is wound into a ball in my knitting bag. I am really bummed, but I'll persevere. I guess the plus is that in my disgust today I was able to finish Goblet of Fire.

So how did your Mystery Stole knitting go?

10 comments:

CynCyn said...

oh. my. Poor poor Kim!!! If it makes you feel any better, I've started my mystery stole 3 times now. Up to row 30ish, the rip-it!

Chris said...

Woe! I'm just an audience member, fortunately.

Stacey said...

I'm torn between laughing at your telling of the story...and crying because you had the clue finished and had to rip it out. So sad Kim!

Laura said...

Poor Kim!

Michelle said...

Oh no! I hope round 2 with your first clue goes smoothly - can't wait to see it!

Michaele said...

oy! now I understand your comment. That sucks rocks. Invest in some dental floss along with those crochet hooks, my friend.

Kathy said...

Ouch!

Michelle said...

HOLY CRAP! So sad to hear it. I got through row 15 on Friday and haven't found the energy to pick it up since then. On a positive note though my kitchen and living room have a fresh coat of paint.

Aussie Stitcher said...

OW no how frustrating and annoying for you.

Joanne

WandaWoman said...

Oh, that's awful! I got to row 11 on Friday and picked it back up again tonight for the first time since then. Lost my place and ended up starting over, but I wasn't as far along as you. I hope to finish it by Friday, we'll see.