Friday, July 06, 2007

Mystery Stole 3--It's going to be a Marathon--

--not a sprint.

After the catastrophe last Saturday and a couple of days cooling off period, Mystery Stole 3 Clue 1 made it back to the needles. We(meaning the stole and I) had a few teammates this time: 3 crochet needles(in the event of another crochet hook mishap), dental floss and sulky thread--both for lifelines.

I use Sulky thread, which is a kind of shiny metallic looking sewing thread, for my cross stitch projects because it comes out of the piece easily when you're done with it. So I thought it would be perfect for knitting lifelines--I was wrong. It's too light and spends more time getting in your way than actually being useful.

So the unwaxed dental floss came into play--it's a great weight and after you knit through the row it's threaded through(which is a b*tch in my opinion)it stays out of the way. I've decided it's in my best interest to put in a lifeline every 10 rows or so--we will not have a repeat of the clue 1 disaster. The lifeline rows slow me down WAY more than the beading does. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the beading--so much fun! I just want to start throwing beads into everything I knit.

I downloaded clue 2 this morning and I look forward to jumping into this clue this weekend. Of course all this MS3 stuff is putting a real crimp in my Harry Potter knitting. Hopefully I'll get the 2nd clue done quickly so I can do so mindless log cabin squares this week--like when I'm waiting in line for the midnight showing of OotP perhaps :)

Without further ado, here's clue 1 completed:


Yarn: Misti Alpaca--it's a sort of pewter gray?
Beads: 8/0 beads that are clear with mirror like centers--you can't really see them well in the pic but they're lovely.
Needles: #4 Addi Lace Needles**

**The Addi's have given me an injury. I carry my yarn in my left hand and my right ends up pushing the needle tip back after I knit a stitch. The points have stabbed the side of my finger enough to have broken through the skin! So I'll be wearing a band aid for the remainder of the clues. Whenever I knit lace I feel like I'm training for an Olympic sport--like finger gymnastics--my fingers are all over the place and if not done with precision something usually goes wrong. Like a dropped stitch, split yarn, or something worse(and I'm not going to tempt fate by trying to come up with the worst case scenario on this one).

7 comments:

CynCyn said...

might i suggest some gauze tape type stuff that they use on athletes? b/c the bandaid will catch on your lace. and interfere with your 'feel' of the yarn, needles, etc. the gauze tape would be a bit smoother, i think.

Chris said...

I've done that to my finger before. OUCH. I'm planning to use all the weird colors of embroidery floss I have for lifelines...

Stacey said...

You are cracking me up Kim! I just read your blog entry out loud at the knit group...and everyone was rolling. Mary Kay kept agreeing with everything you said:) Hopefully I'll get to see you tomorrow!

Yarn Thing said...

I just joined...this is my first lace project and my first shawl/stole...can you recommend a good lace yarn and what should I be looking for in a needle...sounds like I need one that is sharp?

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com

Laura said...

Yea, Kim! I'm so glad you made it through clue 1 successfully this week. Having knit part of clue 2 now, I think it's a bit easier. All the rows are the same length.

Isn't beading this way divine? I LOVE it! I, too, want to bead everything now. LOL

A thimble might work, too, if you have one of those.

StarSpry said...

That looks great! I'm glad the 2nd time around went better :)

WandaWoman said...

Dude, you are bringing on the injuries and racing for all it's worth! Good luck on the marathon MS3.