Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Unexpected Finish(es)

Little Diva's school year is quickly winding to a close and one of the final things they are doing as a class is a classroom economy project. Each student had to come up with something or some service to sell this week in class(with play money). Diva and I decided we'd make bracelets.

So a trip to Micheal's was in order. We got some pony beads, some letter beads, and a ball of LB Microspun(Diva likes the way it feels). First, we made a bunch of bracelets in the traditional string them on and tie them off approach(with the first and last stitch crocheted in place by me for security). Then I was wracking my brain for something more stable for the few adults that will be victims of the classroom economy project(ie. teachers and class moms/dads). And I remembered an episode of Knitty Gritty were they made knitted rings. I have always wanted to knit with beads but I was reluctant to start with the ultra tiny gauge usually required, so I just upped the gauge quite a bit and came up with this:




The one above is my prototype as the large letter beads really were not working(because we'd need a million of them to get a decent letter selection). So I've made about 10 of the knitted bracelets(Diva takes special orders daily) and she's made about 13 of the "string them on" type(with my help on the crochet bits). I wish I had more than one to show but the others are at school.

It's a pretty fun bracelet that makes me want to try the rings :)

Stats:
Pattern: variation on the above linked Knitty Gritty episode
Yarn: LB Microspun in an off white color
Needles: size 5
Extras: a variety of pony beads
Thoughts: You need to cast on twice as many stitches as beads, because the beads are wider than the stitches and if you want them to be nicely spaced the extra stitches are a must(I learned that the hard way). For the kid size bracelets we used 12 beads/24 cast on and for the adult bracelets 20 beads(40 cast on). Although we're kind of adjusting the beads as we go along depending on who asks for what.

5 comments:

WandaWoman said...

Such a good mommy! The bracelets look good and I'm sure the kids al love them.

CynCyn said...

super cool! i would want one!

Deb said...

Oooh, very cool!

Aussie Stitcher said...

They look great.

Joanne

Yarn Thing said...

Those are so cute!

Marly
knitthing.blogspot.com
knitthing.mypodcast.com