Monday, May 07, 2007

Dare to Dream a Sheepy Dream

I have been pondering something lately and I'm curious as to what others think.

In looking at other blogs, spending time with knitters, and from my own personal experience, I find that other aspects of my life are affected by my knitting obsession(I mean hobby). I find myself drawn to all things sheepy and knitty, so much so that I don't see anything wrong with wanting to decorate at least one room(or all) with sheep paraphernalia, yarn, and notions. I have already collected quite a few stuffed sheep and I am noticing that sheep figurines are popping up throughout the house. And it's not just sheep, I've also found myself drawn to unique needles and other notions(like tape measures). Now I even find myself looking for receptacles to hold these things to make display even easier.

My ideal knitting room would actually be a combination knitting/library space. I'd love to have a room that goes up two floors. Floor to ceiling cherry wood bookshelves with one of those ladders on rails running around the second level. The shelves would be full of books(and I'm well on my way with having enough at this point), yarn(I could always use more of that), and my growing collection of sheep paraphernalia. There would be a large bay window with a window seat for those days when I want a breeze from outside and a beautiful view. And for those days when I want to curl up in a chair with a good book or knit, there would be two chair and a half chairs with ottomans flanking a large, stone fireplace. And if money were no object it would be sound proof so I wouldn't have to listen to the screaming and chaos whenever I try to have time by myself--hah!

More realistically my knitting/sheep room will be my guest room in our next house. The closet will hold my stash and the room will be decorated with pastoral toile and sheepy goodness :)

How about you? What's your ideal--money is no object--knitting space? Dare to dream!

8 comments:

Deb said...

When we finished our basement, I got a whole room just for me. Right now it's still in flux but it's on it's way to my dream room. I have a couch, big bookcase, lots of storage bins, big desk/worktable. You can see it sort-of on my current posting http://woundtootight.blogspot.com under where I play.

Knitting and Chocolate are better than zoloft! said...

Oh I do this to! I haven't started buying sheep yet but needles and such. I bought a whole set (as in about 15 pair) of red needles on ebay just because my kitchen is done in antique red things. I put them all in a milk glass vase on my kitchen table.

Laura said...

Are you familiar with the movie My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn? I want a library/knitting room like his library/study. Complete with second floor, rolling bookcase ladder, fireplace, lots of wood paneling, plenty of empty floor space.

And the domestics.

:-D

Chris said...

Hee hee - I know just what you mean... I think that my ideal knitting space would start in a space like Celtic Cast On's first picture.

Aussie Stitcher said...

I am loving what you described, but mainly stitching, I do - can knit but stitching has taken over.

Michelle said...

Is it sad that this is any easy question since I've also obsessed, I mean given it thought?
Mine would look quite similar to what you've described. It needs at least two comfy chairs for when knitting friends come over. It needs a wall for stash storage. The shelving like at Lambshoppe would be ideal I think. It needs another wall for book and knitting pattern storage. A fireplace is a must as is good air flow. I'd probably want a TV and sound system up there as well since I like to watch TV while I knit or if I'm in the mood to listen to an audio book I could.

CynCyn said...

you've done a good job with the basics of the ideal room. Books, yarn, windows, fireplace, cushy/comfy place to sit. I also need candles, a small TV, and a laptop computer (small writing desk). Then, I also need one of those small dorm fridges for my snacks and diet cherry coke. A sign on the door asking "are you bleeding? is the house on fire? if not, DO NOT DISTURB under PENALTY OF DEATH" (but there's a cat flap on the door so my babies can come and go). oH OH OH. It has a private bath.

Just A Knit Wit said...

Oh my perfect knitting room would be large room on the corner of the house, so that 2 of the walls were all windows. Huge windows with squishy chairs and couches nearby. The other two walls would be for books and yarn storage. Cherry wood, the whole thing. The book shelves would surround the door on both sides and above it. There would be a little ladder to get to the topmost stairs that followed a track along the ceiling. There would also be a balcony, covered with pillows and cushions and blankets, so that I could lie on stormy nights and watch the weather from my huge skylight. The floor would be the softest carpet imaginable, with a handwoven rug from Nepal. *sigh* If only...