Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socktoberfest--Lolly's Survey





When did you start making socks?
I knit my first pair of socks in April 2004

My First Pair of Socks

Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I taught myself how to use the double points and my Utah knitting group taught me how to turn the heel and some other tricks of the trade. My absolute favorite basic sock patterns are in the book/pamphlet, Classic Beginnings Socks for the Family by Michele Wyman. It's been my sock knitting bible from the beginning.

What was your first pair?
A basic top down sock made from some kind of Regia I believe.

How have they "held up" over time?
What would you have done differently?

I still have them although the tension is too loose and they have lots 'o mistakes. I keep them and wear them to remind myself how far I have come. I'm not sure I would have done anything differently--my first pair of socks was a milestone for me. It was exhilarating, frustrating, rewarding--all at the same time.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I really like the Fortissma yarns(who makes that Skacel?), Trekking, Lorna's Laces, and Socks that Rock. **edit--how could I forget Opal--one of my all time favorites--it knits up well and you just can't ruin the socks no matter what kind of abuse you give them.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I have only knit socks on DPNs, but I really want to learn two circs and magic loop. I also want to attempt the sock within a sock--like the article in this month's Knitty.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I love the look of the short row, but I haven't mastered it. I usually do the flap--it's familiar and I usually don't mess it up ;)

How many pairs have you made?
Oh, boy let me think. . .7 pairs for gifts one Christmas, 1 pair for DH, 3 pairs for Little Diva, 1 pair for Rage, 1 gift for one of my sisters, 8 or more pairs for me... I'll say about 20(probably a couple more).

2 comments:

Lolly said...

Thanks for answering the questions!

CynCyn said...

socks might be the most economical and space saving knitting project. i can't believe you've knit 20+ pairs, while raising 2 small children, stitching, reading, etc. now i need a nap.