Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Trek #2 with an International View

This trek was in July but I'm just getting around to posting it now. It was a trek loaded with danger. It was wet(as it always is by the Falls), the weather was threatening(thunder and lightning were moving in), I had to face my fear of heights, and I had Little Diva and Little Rage in a very un"childproof" situation.


Trek #2 with an international view :)

It all started with our drive over to Goat Island, which in all the time I lived in WNY I never did. Let me tell you it was really creepy driving over the roaring Niagara River just above the Falls--all I kept thinking was, we're going in.


the dangerous view

See those railings Diva and Rage are hanging over--the bottom rail is a good 1-1.5 feet above the ground--it would be very, very easy for a kiddo to slip through there and get an up close and personal view of the Falls. The only reasons I was not hanging onto them for dear life there were (1)my mom was right out view and (2)they weren't right on top of the water--there was a bit of ground there(unlike most of the up close views of the Horseshoe Falls).


The American Falls


The Horseshoe Falls and the Maid of the Mist


The Trekking sock and the American Falls


Cool--literally and figuratively

It was crazy humid during our NY trip this year, but the mist of the Falls really helps you cool down. There is lots of walking to be done in Niagara Falls State Park--most of which is along the Niagara River above the Falls.

Here's the Trekking sock progress as of the end of my Niagara trek.

Trekking Sock Progress

6 comments:

margene said...

It was 1967 the last time I was at NF. How wonderful you had a chance to visit and knit!

Guernseygal said...

I'm not crazy about heights either :-(. Lovely colourway on the sock

Wanda said...

Glad you had a good trip and the sock is looking good!

Christine said...

I love Niagara Falls! Did you and your children get a chance to go on Maid of the Mist? My hubby and I went every year when we were in Binghamton, usually around the end of March, beginning of April when the falls were still frozen. Great sock progress!

Nicole Valentine said...

ooh ooh ooh- must have that colorway - what is it? It's so autumn!

Mel in Dubai said...

Me no likey heights either! The Falls sure look incredible and maybe one day we'll get to see them in the flesh :)

Love your socks - something I was never able to get the hang of!