Friday, June 23, 2006

Summer Reading Challenge--Week 4

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lord of the Rings
The Belgariad
The Black Jewels Trilogy
Eldest
Danse Macabre
Sword of Darkness(thanks to a recommendation from Guernseygal)
Knit the Classics(1 summer book)
rereading HP4-6
rereading Dark Hunter series: finished
Dark Side of the Moon: finished

This week I finished the first book in the Belgariad(Pawn of the Prophecy). It's a very good introduction. The characters I like the most so far are Wolf and Silk--that could change though. Garion should get more interesting as he grows up.

Booking Through Thursday


This week's questions were suggested by Mary.


Which book character(s) would you...


  1. Like to have dinner with? Acheron Parthenopaeus(Dark Hunter Novels), Richard Zeeman(Anita Blake), Sirius Black(Harry Potter)--not at the same time though ;)

  2. Believe would be the best to help you out in a crisis? I think it depends on what the crisis is.

  3. Like to ask for an autograph? Acheron(Dark Hunter), Jean Claude(Anita Blake).

  4. Most identify with personally? That is difficult--Severus Snape(Harry Potter)



Booking Through Thursday


We haven't talked about abridged stories for a while. These questions were suggested by Xine.


  1. Are abridgements a good introduction to long, boring classics, or a blight on literature? I think that they have their place.

  2. If abridgements have their place, what is it? It's a good way to get a taste of a piece or genre, but I would still have the read the unabridged version because I would be afraid I would miss something.

  3. Have you read any abridgements, or will you read any? Why or why not? I read a lot of them in college; some I read because I didn't feel like reading the full work--some stuff you have to read in college just stinks and it's nice to shorten the agony. Personally, at this point in my life, I'd prefer to read the unabridged version of anything.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Silk was my favorite character too. I also liked Mandorallen - (I hope I'm getting the name right, it's been a long time!).

Laura said...

Wolf and Silk are two of my favorite characters, too. Quite fun, aren't they? Silk's an assasin and a thief. What's not to like? LOL Garion *definitely* gets better as he gets older. ;-)

Kerry said...

What did you think of Dark Side of the Moon. I just finished it last night and I'd be interested to hear someone else's opinion.

Andrea said...

I heartily advise people to read the abridged version of Moby Dick. I read the whole darn thing about two years ago, and I kept thinking, "this guy needed an editor with a heavy hand!"