Monday, May 29, 2006

Chronicles of a Knitting Loser

I'm seriously contemplating a name change.

I have been in such a knitting funk lately(for like the last 2 months, maybe longer). I don't seem to be able to finish anything or even work on anything. Just a few months ago I could sit and knit for hours and hours and not get bored. Most of my WIPs are actually projects that have been on the needles for an embarrassing amount of time. This is not like me, people, I finished a TON of stuff last year this year I have yet to break 10 things.

Let me run down the list:

(1) Rogue Revisited(my second Rogue)--quit knitting it, have put the yarn back into the stash, BUT I haven't ripped out the one finished part(a sleeve).

(2) Hooded T--this has been on the needles since last summer and I only have the hood to finish--it's coming out in June as one of my Project Spectrum pieces, hopefully it will get done.

(3) Queen of Hearts scarf(for Little Diva)--it's been on the needles for over 1 year(my longest WIP bordering on UFO) I totally want to rip it out and make her Latvian mittens instead.

(4) Top down raglan--my March Project Spectrum piece--actually I like this and do work on it.

(5) Beginner's Triangle--this is a story in itself--started it last year. It WILL get finished this year as it is my Amazing Lace partner. This I actually enjoy knitting but I have to be in the right frame of mind to work on it--which clearly wasn't the case yesterday. I was knitting along happily, with speed, and a fair amount of over confidence(I remember thinking how easy this was getting). Then it happened. . .a slip of the fingers, leading to I'm still not sure what, and--boom--a hole where a stitch should be. I think I may have dropped a yarn over. So first I see if I can fix it without having to rip--at the same time cursing my arrogance(which as we all know is the curse of the lace knitter)--after a few attempts it becomes clear to me that I have no idea how to fix this problem and that I am probably making it worse. Now I have to tink back at least 3 rows(of about 150 stitches a piece)and hopefully(fingers crossed)that will get me to a point before my mistake. Lesson learned--do not get over confident in your lace knitting abilities as the goddess of lace will make it apparent that you are by no means in control. Another lesson learned--do not try to knit or fix your knitting while you are angry that you screwed up to begin with--just put it down and walk away.

My latest fear is that the Trekking socks I'll be casting on for this week will meet the same fate as my lacy funeral socks. I have totally been in a "rip it out and put it away" mood lately.

8 comments:

Ramona said...

I know how you feel. I now have four officially uncompleted projects on the needles. I feel like I knit 20 minuts here and there but never enough to get something done.

Laura said...

I've definitely had knitting melt-downs before... Like the time I knit the entire back of an intricately cabled design for a pullover for DH, and found when done that I could have folded it over and put 2 of him in it. I let it sit for an entire year (switched to cross stitch and crochet in between) before I ripped it out and re-knit it on smaller needles. Yes, I finally finished the sweater, but it took a total of 3 years to do it.

Never fear, gf. You'll get out of your slump. Maybe what you really need to do is to tear out that scarf for your daughter and start the socks instead. Or...

Wanda said...

It looks like one project definitely needs to be ripped (the Rogue sleeve). Perhaps the Queen of Hearts scarf. If you really want to make Latvian mittens, then rip it out and do it. You won't be happy and nor motivated to work on it. Go ahead and finish up the Hooded T, you're so close, you might as well finish it. The Top down seems to not be aproblem. And you seem to want to finish the Beginner's Triangle. I think you just need to focus on some things and get them done. Then you can cast on for something new. Perhpas the Trekking socks will motivate you. If you don't think they will get past the rip out mode, perhaps you shouldn't cast on just yet.

Lolly said...

Oh, good luck, girl! I am happy to hear that the Hooded Tee will make a reappearance for next month's Project Spectrum ;)

Michelle said...

Gotta hate the funk! Hope you come out of it soon. Of course I'm one to talk, how could I get bored with 14 things on the needles. :D

Chris said...

Persevere! You will work through this bit o' knitting funk and frustration.

Andrea said...

Hey, whaddup, I just left a comment, and it hasn't appeared? Do you screen? Or will it appear twice? :)

Andrea said...

Rats, guess not. Gist of it was, I'm in a much longer knitting lull, but I'm sure we'll both get our hardcore knitting mojos back one of these days, so I wouldn't worry about it. Ran into Randy at the store, and he said that he once had a knitting lull so long that he thought he might never knit again, and this is RANDY we're talking about here.