Thursday, April 20, 2006

WIP Wipeout/Magic Witch Updates 2

Not a lot of knitting going on here although when I was outside with the kiddos on Easter I turned the heel on my lacy socks(or as I call them, the funeral socks). I'm trying a short row heel--it looks okay, we'll see how it fits. I have a question for all of my knitting crew, why am I having so many problems with my straight versus circular knitting? I don't know if you can tell by the picture but the heel looks larger than the rest of the sock, gauge wise. I know that I tend to purl looser than I knit and I think that's the root of the problem. Anyone else have it? If so, what do you do to fix it?

Lacy Funeral Sock

Magic Witch is 20% done--sounds great unfortunately I'm behind on my goals for the month. By next Thursday I need to be at 10800 in order to meet my minimum goal--so that would require 550 stitches per day and as I am heading back into the dreaded "book" zone I just don't see that happening, I suppose I could cheat and start working somewhere else in order to catch up--hmmmmm ;) Despite the crazy schedule I'm trying to tie myself to with this, I am really enjoying stitching it. I think it is fascinating how many colors are used to get the depth in the piece--I spend my evenings stitching with my face pressed up to the fabric so it just looks like a jumble of colors to me--BUT when I come back in the morning the design really pops, that's what makes it fun for me :)

Magic Witch(6400 stitches)

4 comments:

Laura said...

Magic Witch is looking awesome, gf. Just awesome. :-)

Don't know what to tell you about your heel stitches. That doesn't happen when you use circulars? Hm. Well, next time you might try going down a needle size for that part of the sock...

Chris said...

Um, purl back on a smaller needle? Change your purling style?

Lucia said...

I've heard of the straight vs. circ gauge problem but never experienced it. I vote for purling with a smaller needle -- even though it would be a pain to figure out how much smaller.

I knit Continental style, reputed to wreck a lot of people's purl tension, and have never had a problem -- I wrap the yarn fairly tightly around my little finger and let it flow under the two middle fingers and over my index finger. When I knit I use my left middle finger to sort of hold the st open on the back of the work (I didn't even know I was doing this until someone told me), which I don't do when purling.

Not that any of that helps if you knit English style.

Wanda said...

The sock looks great, but you know it's just wrong to call it lacy Funeral sock ,right?