Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Stitching Focus

April will be a stitching focus month for me.




At the beginning of the year I set up a few goals for myself. Some of them dealt with cross stitch. One specifically was to pick a QS(quick stitch)from HAED and finish it.

Well, I have finally found one that I want to do; it's Magic Witch. I'm not really sure what drew me to this piece. I like the subject matter and I think that I have witches on the brain(my Harry Potter addiction is responsible for that). In the spirit of Project Spectrum it's also a March/April transition piece. I'm not a fan of yellow and orange, but the candlelight in this picture will satisfy the yellow/orange of April.

Watching everyone's progress and success with the Knitting Olympics really made me want to set a personal challenge for myself and originally my plan was to try and finish a QS in a month. This piece has 31,350 stitches in it--that's 1045 stitches per day! Now I am not saying it's not possible, BUT on a good day I can stitch about 400 stitches. I suppose I could bag cleaning my house, taking care of my children/husband/pets, eating, exercise, knitting, sleep, etc. Hmmmmm, not a bad idea ;)

I wanted my goal for this to be attainable but not too easy, so I had decided to shoot for 600 stitches per day--which would give me 18000 by the end of the month(over half of the piece).

**EDIT--I seriously had to rethink the whole 600 stitches per day--I kept up with it for 3 days, but it was taking 3+ hours per day to do it. I think that I may have to adjust my goals to a minimum of 400 stitches per day--so by the end of the month I should have between 12000 and 18000 stitches into this piece. I'd be thrilled if I could get more that halfway done!**

Here's what I have done so far(I started on the 1st):

Magic Witch--Week 1(2200 stitches)

7 comments:

margene said...

That sure is a lot of work! Good luck with your goal.

Laura said...

It's wonderful so far, gf. One major bonus of the quick stitches: almost no background! LOL I'll be here rooting for you. :-)

Chris said...

Wow! I'm really impressed!! I LOVE the kitty in that piece - eh, no surprise there... :)

Stacey said...

Wow! How do your eyes feel after stitching all those teeny tiny stitches every day? I am very impressed Kim!

stitchnsnitch said...

You're aiming high, and good luck with it! :)

Kerry said...

It's looking beautiful. Good luck with keeping up the goal.

Wanda said...

Your progress so far looks great! I do hope you bring it tonight. I would be interested in seeing this project.