Friday, April 21, 2006

SBQ and Booking Through Thursday

Today's SBQ was suggested by Jenna (http://www.jennamagee.com/weblog/)
and is:

Do you do obligation or deadline-based stitching? Why or why not? If
you do, do you tend to get in over your head and why?

Obligation/deadline stitching--my nemesis! When my sister got engaged(1997), I decided to stitch L&Ls The Wedding for her. I actually finished it for her 5th anniversary! So obligation stitching and I don't play well together. I enjoy deadline based stitching to the extent that I like to challenge myself to get so much done in a set amount of time(like my Magic Witch Marathon this month), but as far as getting it done for a specific event--NO WAY, I refuse to put myself through that anymore.

Booking Through Thursday

This was suggested by Mary.


Connect any six books in your library to each other by any way you want. One book will remind you of another because the author's name is similar, a fictional character shows up in someone else's book, another author is talked about by characters in a book, maybe the same friend recommended both books, or whatever. Books from a series count as one entry in your list.

Okay, in high school I read an article in Rolling Stone or somewhere about Sting and he said that one of his favorite reads at the time was Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice around that time we also did a unit on Edgar Allen Poe in English class. Those two authors have pretty much led me into everything else I have read to date. There was a big break in my "free" reading time as I was a Literature and Education major in college so when I did have free time I did NOT want to read(usually I wanted to get drunk). After college I was starting work and working on my Masters, so again, not a lot of free reading going on. Then I decided to combine my love of Rice/Poe into something related to adolescent lit.(because that's what I taught). That led me in 1998 to Harry Potter(which of course is much less edgy and grim). Harry led me into spending more time in the Science Fiction/Fantasy section of the book store where I happened upon Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind that series had me hooked until about the 5th book when it started getting too weird for my liking. In my search for a place to discuss Terry's books online, I found out about Laurell Hamilton's books, I remember when I first read Guilty Pleasures; I finished it in two days and ordered everything else she had in print at the time. My long standing love of vampires/werewolves and my new found love for the way Laurell brought them into the present led me to Sherrilyn Kenyon. I read Fantasy Lover rather quickly and as I read more of her books I became completely obsessed with the Dark Hunters. I could go on and on about them--I'm not so much into the love story aspect of each of the Dark Hunter books, but of the culture and hierarchy of the Hunter's themselves--the way Sherrilyn has used ancient history to form their present.

**as I am sitting here thinking about it, I think there is even a series I started reading before Anne Rice. It was the Vampire Chronicles, I think. It was a series of four books about a high school girl in Virginia who met a vampire attending her school(remember I was, in fact, in high school at the time). The four books went through their relationship. I want to say their names were Elena, Stephan, and Damon(Stephan's brother). Does anyone else remember those? I think I still have them somewhere.


Booking Through Thursday


Reach out a hand, and grab the book that is closest to you. Turn to page 231, or pick a page at random if the book isn't that long. Locate the first sentence of the last paragraph on that page.


  1. Type the sentence here: Insert right needle into first 2 stitches on left needle, beginning with second stitch from end of left needle.

  2. Does the sentence make sense out of context? Yes, if you understand knitting terms it does.

  3. Does reading the sentence make you want to read the rest of the book? Why or why not? This sentence specifically doesn't make me want to read the book, unless I want to know more about k2tog ;) The Book is The Knitting Experience Book 3: Color--which is a great book!

2 comments:

Chris said...

I would have to think for a long time on this one, because I've been reading fantasy and such for a long, long time.

Have you read any of Zelazny's Amber series? The first book is Nine Princies in Amber. Oh, I loved those. I SO wanted to be a Prince of Amber. :)

Michelle said...

Have you ever gotten into the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer? It's another scifi/fantasy series for teens and is pretty cool. I think he's up to the fourth book. Not quite as good as Harry Potter but I've enjoyed them.