Friday, April 07, 2006

SBQ and Booking Through Thursday

Today's SBQ is:

Do you stitch "on the go?" (On the commute to and from work, during
your lunch break, waiting for the kids, etc.) If so, do you have a
specific "travel" project or do you just grab whatever you happen to
be working on and take it with you?


No, I don't stitch on the go. I have such a process to get everything set up that it isn't really conducive to the car or out in public. Plus, I'm using stitching something large and complex. I save my knitting for an "on the go" project. That being said I'm thinking of taking Magic Witch to my knitting group tonight; we'll see if I can actually work on it though.

Booking Through Thursday


This week's questions were suggested by Kim.


  1. Do you have a favorite character(s)? I have four favorite characters at the moment: Richard Zeeman, Sirius Black, Acheron and Zarek.

  2. What book/author is he/she/it from? Anita Blake series/Laurell Hamilton, Harry Potter/JKRowling, and Dark Hunter Series/Sherrilyn Kenyon

  3. Why do you like this person--what is it about the way he/she was written that drew you to them? All of them have a duality in their characters that really drew me to them. They all seem to struggle with their good and evil sides and what really draws me to them is that you aren't entirely sure which side is going to win the battle.

    Richard struggles with being a teacher/athletic/normal all around good guy and an alpha werewolf--his character has become so tortured and torn during the course of the series. He seems to be heading more to his beast than his normal life. When I met Laurell Hamilton, the one thing I asked her was not to kill off Richard--he was heading that way for a while.

    Sirius, my dear Sirius Black, when you meet him in the series he is painted as a ruthless killer escaped from prison. Through the story you learn more about his personality, what gave him the strength to survive 12 years in Azkaban, how he interacted with his friends/enemies. I find his character intriguing because of what Azkaban did to him physically/mentally. He changed in many ways but also stayed the same.

    Acheron is the leader of the Dark Hunters and I was drawn to him because he is over 9000 years old. I'm actually rereading the series now so that I can get a better handle on him. You only get little tidbits about his character through the series. It's enough to make you love him and fear him at the same time. Honestly, I'm drawn to him because of his unknown characteristics and his power.

    Zarek--he's crazy(bordering on insane) and he's hot.

    Looking over this list I'd say I have a thing for bad boys ;)

  4. Is there something more you would like the author to tell you about them? Yes.

    First and foremost I NEED to know more about Sirius Black; I need to know more about his time at school, his time in Azkaban, and what he was doing when he was a fugitive. Truly she could write an entire series on him and I'd be happy.

    Acheron is a close second--his character has so much potential for a really good story based just on him. I'm hoping that when Sherrilyn gets to writing Acheron's story she departs from her normal formula, because he deserves a quality piece of literature written about him(the Dark Hunter series is billed as Romance, but I read them for the actual Dark Hunter stuff).

    Richard, well I think as readers we know a lot about him already, but I'd love to see him embrace more of his dark side. I'm anxious to see what Laurell does with his character.

    And Zarek, he had so much promise as a psycho, but unfortunately during his story(Dance with the Devil) he was tamed by the love of a good woman--don't ya hate when that happens!! I wish he would go back to what he was--I guess three out of four isn't bad :)

6 comments:

Chris said...

I like Gary Oldman as Sirius Black because I think that, as an actor, he's very capable of capturing that duality.

stitchnsnitch said...

Ditto, Chris. Gary Oldman was a FANTASTIC cast for Sirius. JKR had better fill in more of the Black family history in Book 7 or she's going to have a lot of disappointed fans.

Lucia said...

When you say "stitch" do you mean knitting or cross stitch -- or anything involving stitches?

I take my knitting everywhere, even if I don't think I'll get to work on it, because you never know. DH and I carpool to work together -- he drives, I knit.

Guernseygal said...

Oh i think Zarek still has his moments :-) Looking forward ot Acheron's story too and the sample I have read of the next book - which is a were hunter one looks good.
Oh and I have a soft spot for Vane and Wren :-)

Wanda said...

That would be interesting to see your stitching. Bring it tonite!

K said...

Just popping in to say "hi" - I miss hanging out at your blog!

I like Sirius too. But I think one of my fave characters is Nazhuret from The Lens of the World series by RA MacAvoy.