Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thanks, SBQ, and Booking Through Thursday

Thanks everyone for all your prayers and concern for my Grandfather--it really means a lot to me. He's still in the hospital and they are waiting for test results on his kidney function(which should be in tomorrow)before deciding how to proceed. If his kidney function isn't getting any better, then his time is almost up.

He's lived a long life(how many people have seen what he has in his nearly 100 years?)and in all honesty he hasn't been happy since my Grandmother passed away 15 years ago. If this is indeed the end of his life, then I hope it is relatively quick and painless for him.

It's been hard for my sister(in Texas) and I because we are so far away and aren't really in a position for an extended trip home. We figured the best we could do was have our other sister and our father relay our messages of love to him. We will fly in if he passes away so that we can be there for our father(he's an only child and this is his only remaining parent--it's upsetting to him to say the least). For me, it's been hard just waiting. Every time the phone rings I'm thinking it's THE CALL.

Tomorrow is big decision day, I guess.

Today's SBQ is:

Do you stitch "over one?" If so, describe your experiences. If not,
have you considered it?

Yes, I sure do. All of the HAED charts are over 1--so I'm getting a crash course in it right now. It's not so bad really. It provides some unique challenges though.
Positive: You get an unbelievable amount of detail.
Negatives: It takes forever to make any progress.
The back of your piece looks like a rat's nest.
You could go blind stitching it.


Booking Through Thursday


This week's questions about self-help books are from Nicki.


  1. Have you ever read a self-help book? Yes, the biggest one I have read is Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. I have also read various diet books(do they count as self help?).

  2. What do you think about self-help books in general? I think that like any book some are garbage and some have merit.

  3. Would you ever recommend a self-help book? I am not sure that I would recommend them to anyone. I think that self help stuff is a very personal thing and you should seek out books based on what you perceive your personal issues to be.

2 comments:

Guernseygal said...

When you say stitch over one - I am assuming that you are referring to stitching over 1 thread of linen? If so yes I have done on occassion. I have done some of the Theresa Wentzler designs where she often uses stitching over one thread to add details such as faces to characters in her cross stitch designs. It really makes a difference having those parts done in half cross stitch but twice as small. I love her designs, they are always so detailed and with some mant blended threads the colouring is very subtle.

candsmom said...

It must be such a difficult time for you and your family. You're in my thoughts and prayers... best wishes to all of you. Take care, Kim!