Friday, March 10, 2006

SBQ and Booking Through Thursday

Okay, I'm not really into making my blog a forum for my personal beliefs, but this article is SO true. It really makes me weep for the future of this country. Every parent should read this and think about how things where when you were in school as opposed to how you respond to things today with your own children--are we helping or hurting them? From a teacher's point of view I have one opinion and from a parent's point of view I have another(well, actually they are kind of similar, but it is really hard to put your foot down with your own kids sometimes). I can't tell you how many teenagers I have personally worked with who have ZERO work ethic--I don't intend to have mine join that group.

Today's SBQ is:

Do you have an organizational system for your patterns? If so, how do
you organize them? If not, have you considered organizing them
?

I have no organizational system for my cross stitch patterns. I have them separated into stuff I am doing, stuff I really want to do soon, stuff I really want to do later, and stuff I used to like but I'm not really interested in anymore. I haven't really considered organizing my needlework patterns.

My knitting patterns on the other hand are organized into categories by article of clothing and they are all in page protectors in three ring binders--I like to think of it as my own mini yarn pattern library.

Booking Through Thursday


This week's questions are from Cate.


  1. Do you have any books that are signed by the author? Yes, I have both of Debbie Macomber's books about knitting signed and I have the Merry Gentry series by Laurell Hamilton signed. I love the idea of book signings--although personally I would love to actually have some more intimate time with some of my favorite authors--it would be fascinating to talk to them about their ideas and their process.

  2. Do you have a story behind the autograph? Well, I just happened to be in the right place at the right time for Debbie Macomber(I had received a mailer about her book tour and decided to take my two books to get signed).

    I remember when I went to Laurell Hamilton's book signing I was so nervous. I wanted to ask her something brilliant about her work(the whole concept of her stories is amazing to me); instead I got up to her and her husband and as she signed my books I asked her, "Please don't kill Richard" (he's a character from her Anita Blake series and I would go into mourning on par with the loss of Sirius Black if she offs Richard). She laughed and said she gets that all the time. She said she didn't want to kill him off but she did think he needed some serious therapy. So much for my brilliant question.

    I would like to get my Dark Hunter books signed because Sherrilyn Kenyon would be fascinating to talk to(her story concept is really original as well). And the Holy Grail of autographs would of course be JKRowling--what I would give for a little bit of time to pick her brain. And there are numerous deceased authors I would love to have sign stuff too.

3 comments:

Nicola said...

Agree with you on the article. From a different perspective, one of the (many) reasons we homeschool is so our children grow up with our ethics, not modern society's.

Chris said...

Definitely an article to make one think... I think it's part of a larger societal problem, the abandonment of personal responsibility...

Hmm, Laurell K Hamilton is doing a signing here in Minneapolis sometime soon...

K said...

Interesting article.

I don't have kids, but agree with sockit about homeschooling. Most of the homeschooled kids I know are much more engaged and have a much better work ethic than public school kids.

Personally, I think it points to parents. Children generally aren't born with a work ethic. It has to be taught and nurtured - and that has to start happening before K-12!