Thursday, December 01, 2005

SBQ and Booking Through Thursday

Sorry I've been MIA most of the week. My eyes and brain needed a break from the monitor after the month long Nano madness. Back to the regularly scheduled programming :)

I started another project from Handknit Holidays today. It's the Christmas Rose gift bag. I thought it was going well then I had to rip it out and start over. Stranded knitting and I have a love/hate relationship. I love it but I hate that I'm not very good at it which is a catch 22 because the only way to get better is to do it more. I'm knitting on sz. 3 dpns which is kind of a problem because I've never stranded around the joins--does that make sense? Anyway there are some tension issues there.

This weekend I'm starting to stitch on Storykeeper--which I am really looking forward to. AND that's not all, I actually get to start reading a book this weekend. Earth shattering I know, but I put myself on a reading diet last month because I didn't want it messing up my novel. I think I may start the Belgariad. Little Diva and I are reading the Chronicles of Narnia out loud at night before bed and I just love the way those books are written; as sad as it seems I have never read them. They are perfect "read aloud" books, the prose just rolls off the tongue; really there aren't many books that are a pleasure to read out loud, but this is definitely one of them.

aloha :)



Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by AngelSan (http://angelsan.free.fr/blog.php ) and is:

Do you have rules in the way you stitch? (i.e., Do you start in the middle? Do you determine which blocks to stitch first? Do you always start from the top or the bottom? Do you have special paths to prevent wasting thread?)


I do when I'm stitching most things. I always try and start in the middle and I try to work my way out from there. Usually I work my way to the bottom then finish the top. I try to leave faces, if there are any, until the end. The light colors used in most faces are more apt to get dirty if you stitch them too soon and since that's usually the focal point of the piece I try and keep them as pristine as possible. I'm not sure if I have special paths to save thread, I try not to jump all over the place. I look at the pattern and usually try and decided the best way to proceed from there. Each pattern is unique.

Now as far as HAED designs are concerned, I threw all my old habits out the window. I start in the upper left and work in either 10x10 or 20x20 blocks down the page. These are also the only patterns I park in. And I won't even go into what I disaster the backs of these are.

Booking Through Thursday



  1. Have you ever read a book in a language other than your native language?In high school I had to read childrens books in French and Latin. In college I took a semester of Old and Middle English and even though it's my native language it bears little resemblance to the English we speak today. So I kind of consider it another language.

  2. If so, how would you describe your experience?It tries your patience but once you get the hang of it, it's empowering to read something as it was originally written. I remember most specifically reading Beowulf and a story I want to say was called Dream of the Rune--I remember Rune in the title because I was required to explain every possible definition of rune as it was used each time through the entire piece--it was infuriating and rewarding at the same time.

  3. Have you ever read a book translated from another language into your native language?I'm sure I have but for the life of me I can't think of a title off the top of my head.

  4. Why or why not?College assignment I'm sure.

  5. If so, how would you describe your experience?Some translations are very good, but some, if they are not done by someone skilled in both languages, lose a lot of the original meaning.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Have you read the Belgariad before? if not, you are in for a treat. It is probably my all time favorite fantasy book series!

Andrea said...

Don't be fooled by the revisionist re-ordering of the Chronicles of Narnia. I've seen sets of them sold with The Magician's Nephew as the first book instead of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. CS Lewis wrote that one first, and then the Magician's Nephew came later as a pre-quel (however you spell it) - I think it was intended as a sort of a flashback to give more information. I was mad that they re-ordered the series into chronological order a few years ago, as if kids were too dumb to understand anything else. Plus, I think TLTWATW should just come first -- all the other ones are built off it, and it's just the most magical introduction to the world of Narnia -- takes kids from the normalcy of England and regular life through a closet into this other world. At least, that's my opinion. Probably too late if you've already started reading them. I just get annoyed that things are constantly being dumbed down for us... :) And I obviously have a very strong opinion about this subject. ;)