Thursday, December 29, 2005

The Countdown Begins and SBQ

Stashalongers--first off--WOW! I am blown away by all the people that already signed up--thanks :) I know how hard it is to "not" buy yarn--especially when you are making an effort not to--hee hee. I figure that I'll be strong through January, February I'll start to waver, and March will be downright difficult. Enjoy tomorrow and Saturday--finish any last minute ordering and stocking up :)

A few thoughts on some comments:
Andrea: No pressure to finish too many things(maybe finish something you have on the needles--like, I don't know, Rogue for example)--no pressure though LOL) I don't think some things are finishable(is that even a word?) in three months.

Wanda: Buying yarn you had on hold--not a problem--I mean you "have" to buy some yarn with that first paycheck, right?

Kate: My husband is beyond thrilled that I'm on a yarn diet--of course, he's not thinking ahead--shouldn't tax refunds be here by the end of March ;)

Joanne: No problem getting stuff for your classes and designing--especially if there is something you're designing that we can all knit on come April! I think that if we did go another 3 months we would have to add the ability to take one or two days off for "stash enhancement"--I just want to get through the first three months and see where I am at after that LOL :)

Michelle: You are a braver soul than I--a whole year!!--there is no way I'll make it that long :)

Ruth: It's one of my resolutions too--that's why I wanted to do this. I need to broadcast it to keep myself accountable :)

Valerie: You need a bigger apartment OR you could use your stash creatively--as furniture perhaps?

Ronda: I'm worried if 3 months is enough to make a dent too--that's why I'm keeping to door open to add another 3.

Shara: It wouldn't be so bad if you were sleeping on cashmere or alpaca :)

Margene: Since there is no way for me to actually police everyone--barring a glaring post to the effect of "Look at all this fabulous yarn I just bought" I trust you and the gift certificate is perfect because you got it before the 1st--so technically it's already purchased stash, right?

Hanne and the second Chris: I need your blog address so I can add you to the knitalong--thanks.

aloha :)


This week's SBQ was suggested by Nancy (http://crossesnkisses.blogspot.com/ ) and is:

How do you balance your stitching time with your other obligations such as work, household chores, etc.?


Not very well if the truth be known. Stitching, for me, requires a lot of concentration which usually means I can't do it well if I'm tired. I have a 5 and 3 year old so daytime stitching is out--sometimes if the 5 year old is at school and the 3 year old is sleeping I get some stitching done but 3 year old nap days are getting fewer and farther between. Stitching at night is usually a problem too, because I can't concentrate if I'm tired. Usually when I really want to do a good block of stitching I do it at night until my eyes and/or mind can't take it anymore. Basically, I fit it in when I can--even if other things have to take a backseat.

A post-holiday meme lifted from Knitting, with Dogs
Four jobs you've had in your life: Middle/High School English/Reading Teacher, Adult GED instructor, Retail store clerk, Salad Bar attendant

Four movies you could watch over and over: The Extended Versions of Lord of the Rings, The Harry Potter Movies, Kevin Smith's movies(esp. Clerks and Dogma), Finding Nemo

Four places you've lived: New York, Texas, Hawaii, Utah

Four TV shows you love to watch: The Office, Real Time with Bill Maher, Six Feet Under(even though it's over now), Lost

Four places you've been on vacation: Disney World, Disneyland, Maui, Las Vegas

Four websites you visit daily: Bloglines, HAED Bulletin Board, mine(because there are links there to other places I like), Barnes and Noble

Four of your favorite foods: sushi, red velvet cake, calamari, popcorn

Four places you'd rather be: Hawaii, Disney World, Needlepoint Joint, On a tropical beach

6 comments:

Andrea said...

Aargh - I know! Rogue!! Now that should be a New Year's resolution. But at this point the resolutions are piling up -- finish knitting projects. De-stash. Lose like 20 pounds. Get back into running condition. Stop eating out for every meal. Stop buying expensive espresso drinks every single morning. Start actually grocery shopping once in a while. And on and on ad naseum...

I see we have many things in common on your meme -- I love The Office and Lost, sushi and red velvet cake, and I would SO like to be on a tropical beach right now... But at least I will go get to be at the Needlepoint Joint on your behalf. So you'll be there in spirit!!

candsmom said...

Looking forward to hearing more about the Stashalong in the new year! Such a great idea. Mmmm, I love red velvet cake, too but hold the sushi, please! I'm such a wimp about sushi- the only kind I'll touch is California roll or the cucumber maki. Such a disgrace to my heritage, I know! Take care and Happy New Year to you, Kim! :-)

Nicola said...

I'd like to join the Stashalong, too, please. This was going to be one of my New Years Resolutions.

Mod Girl said...

You know, I have actually considered stuffing balls of yarn in an unused pillowcase - two birds with one stone - hidden AND useful!
You receieved such a great response to the Stashalong - have you considered starting a blog specifically for it? Would save you the task of posting 20 or so updates each week... Just a thought!

Miriam said...

I would love to join as I've been working from stash as much as possible this year already in attempts to make it disappear, but I can't commit to not buying any yarn since I have to buy some for swatches for design proposals and new designs, etc... But I'm with you in spirit.

zeusstrik said...

sorry about my blogfailure:O))) My blog is http://zeusstrik.typepad.com/zeusstrik/
hanne