Thursday, October 27, 2005

Socktoberfest, SBQ, and Booking Through Thursday


Log Cabin Sock

Here's my contribution to Socktoberfest--hopefully, I'll have its partner done by Monday. It's the Log Cabin Sock from Handknit Holidays--awesome book, by the way. I made it with Cascade 220 on sz. 6 needles. These are the men's size--they are for my husband to keep his feet toasty this winter :)

Happy knitting, stitching, and reading,
aloha:)

Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by Outi (http://www.livejournal.com/users/snowprincipessa/ ) and is:

Have you ever stitched something as a gift and later realized that receiver doesn't respect your stitched gift a bit (for example it's never on show, or you have other reason to suspect that it may even be nonexistent or at least placed in some dark storage room corner)?

I usually only stitch or knit gifts for family and/or people I am sure are going to give the piece the proper respect it deserves.

If so, what have you done? If you've been lucky enough to avoid such people what would you do if it'd happen to you?
So far I have been lucky enough to avoid that(although there is a piece I stitched for my mother that she won't hang up because she doesn't want to put holes in her walls--what's up with that?!?!?!--she does have it out though). I'll tell you; I really think that I would ask for it back. I think of my knitting and stitching things in much the same way a breeder thinks of their puppies/kittens--if for some reason you can't take care of it properly, then give it back to me. I wouldn't even feel bad about asking--you all know how much time it takes to make something--I wouldn't put that much time in it to not have it treated with respect. I also wouldn't have a problem with bringing up the fact I never see said item--put'em on the spot I say. In a knitting class I took about a month ago, one of the girls said she received an invite to a baby shower where the invitation said specifically--"no handmade gifts." How would you feel about that(whether you were planning on making something or not)?

Booking Through Thursday



  1. What books have you read that you hate to admit reading? (You can either limit this to recent reads or go way back in time. Your choice.) The Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

  2. Why? I actually don't hate admitting that I read them, but they are definitely my guilty pleasure--very trashy romance stuff. I usually hate to admit that I like reading Chaucer, Shakespeare, and Poe--most people usually ask why would anyone do that if they didn't HAVE to?

5 comments:

Cathi said...

That sock is really great...I bet there won't be any cold feet in your house this winter.

I like your idea of asking for it back, although really I don't think anything I have ever knit for someone else (excluding the Charlotte's Web I made for my friend that is a knitter) has been fully appreciated. I feel like I just need to practice letting go, that people can do the same thing with other gifts that I've given, and to not take it personally. But that's just me.

Wanda said...

Beautiful sock. I know your hubby will love it. I really like the pattern.
I don't know if I would ask for something back, unless that person seemed totally underwhelmed. Usually most people that I knit for are pretty happy with my knits, so I've been fortunate. I've knit for people that I know will appreciate it, so that's been a good thing. I painstakingly knit a moss stitch scarf for my sister my first year of knitting that took such a long time and I shipped it out to her overnight right before Xmas and I was sick and she never acknowledged that she received it, appreciated it, etc. After 3 weeks, I had to call her and ask her about it and then she said yes, how much she loved it, she wore it all the time. The people at her job asked where did she get such a scarf, etc. and that made me feel good, but yet, why she couldn't have told me that before is beyond me!

If someone put on an invite that said no handmade gifts, then that just means I can save my time from knitting something for their baby. It would probably leave a sour taste in my mouth, but I could buy then a baby outfit and call it a day and knit on something for me, or knit something for a more appreciative mother. It's all good.

stitchnsnitch said...

Wow--that sock is FANTASTIC!!! I'll "out" myself and admit that I love, love, love reading Shakespear, T. S. Eliot, and, yes, James Joyce. My guilty pleasure--reading books I love over and over and over and over again.

Michelle said...

Beautiful sock! I'm glad you brought it on Friday. I love seeing stuff in person.
Asking for it back is a good idea. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do it though. So far I've been lucky with that. Only one person has proven they didn't deserve a gift, but I found out before I had gifted it so they just didn't receive what I had knitted.

Andrea said...

You know, it's funny, but I don't use a lot of the knitted items I've made for myself very much, like some of the scarves and hats and even sweaters I've knitted. So I don't fault other people when they don't wear theirs. Then again, I've only knit for immediate family, very close friends, and one ex-boyfriend. I guess I don't get too hung up on small ticket items, though it was awesome when my brother wore the hat that I made him constantly. Large items, like the afghans I made for my mom and my grandma, seem to get the appropriate amount of appreciation, but then I definitely am very careful about whom I would spend that much time on. I would imagine that a stitched piece would be similar, and since it's meant to be a decorative item, it would be really irritating if someone didn't display it.

Oh, and no worries about me thinking you're weird for liking Shakespeare -- I have a Shakespeare action figure, and just picked up a Jane Austen action figure when I was in Milwaukee. ;)