Monday, September 05, 2005

This is why. . .

When I first attended my Utah knitting group, I happened to mention that I really liked knitting because it is an instant gratification hobby. I was met with considerable skepticism, but when you cross stitch and you spend 3+ hours gridding only part of your project(the top row pages--yes there are 8 of them in the top row), then you spend the remaining two days of the weekend stitching and only have this much to show for it:

progress 9/5/05

When you have this much space to fill:

A long, long, long way to go.

And you've only filled in this much of page 1 of 63 pages(red highlighted is done):

A good start.

And on top of all that you run into a symbol problem with your chart--where two colors have virtually the exact same symbol and it's not at all clear which to use where BUT the folks at HAED are so cool that they, in less than 24 hours no less, emailed me a corrected, replacement chart. Hooray for AWESOME customer service!!!!!

Well, I'm hoping you see what I mean :) This is what the finished product will look like; if you're interested.

Preemie knitting this week for me.

Also, I have a plea. I'm already thinking about Christmas and I would really like to get my Mom a subscription to a quilting magazine. The problem is, that while I appreciate and like quilts, I, personally, do not quilt. So if anyone has any tips or suggestions it would be much appreciated. She stitches in hand or with a machine and she likes patchwork more than applique.

Happy knitting and stitching,
aloha :)

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

You go girl! I will be watching your progress on your cross stitch with great intrest. I came to knitting from needlepoint as well. With two small children needlepoint was just not portable or fast enough anymore. Someday I will get back to it....

Michele said...

I am totally impressed with the cross-stitch. The only needlework outside of knitting I do is the 'stitch n zip' kits that are painted on...very wimpy, but mindless. I look forward to watching your needlework evolve...

Andrea said...

My head hurts in your behalf. Wow. I am very impressed by your precision and organization. I can't wait to see how things progress!! It's really going to be exquisite.

I have actually been doing some knitting for a change, but have been so bad about blogging about it... Soon...

Chef Messy said...

I so love cross-stitching, but that is exactly why I rarely do it! But kudos to you for attacking such a daunting project!

Michelle said...

Wow. I was going to say more but what's left to say? Wow.

Lelia said...

I looked at your stitched area -- then, looked at what it was going to end up being .... how impressive is that! Like everything else, keep at it a little at a time & eventually we will all be doing the happy dance with you!

Laura said...

Yup. Compared with cross-stitch, most knitting projects are definitely instant gratification. LOL

Your Arwen & Aragorn is wonderful so far, gf. Don't even worry about the back. It'll be a mess, because of all the confetti stitching, a problem exacerbated by the fact that it's so stinkin' small. ;-)

thutmosis said...

Your Arwen & Aragorn is coming along nicely! Keep at it!

For your Mom, there are several good ones:

Quilting Arts (http://www.quiltingartsllc.com)

Fabric Trends