Thursday, September 15, 2005

Secret Pal 6--questionnaire

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
I didn't really think I was a snob, but I think I kind of am. Red Heart is a definite NO for me, but I do like Lion Brand Wool-ease and the Microspun. I've used Encore quite a bit too. As long as it isn't too bulky, fuzzy, or bumpy I'm okay with it.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I don't spin(I have a drop spindle though; but, honestly, I am afraid to learn--another hobby isn't really what I need. Plus I'd eventually have to buy sheep, which would necessitate a farm--it could get out of hand is all I'm saying) and I crochet very poorly--that's why I took up knitting :)

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Smoke and strong perfumes really bother me--I can smell them for days after I've been around either. Really scratchy fibers give me an allergic reaction.

4. How long have you been knitting?
I started knitting in 2003.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have a personal Barnes and Noble wish list as well as one on Amazon UK, but I don't think either are publicly accessible--nor would I feel right about someone buying my stuff off either list--most of the items are pretty expensive.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
lavender and vanilla(together or separate), pikake, lily of the valley, and plumeria.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but not for chocolate--I love Jelly Belly jelly beans!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I have been cross stitching since I was 12(started 24 years ago---holy smokes, that makes me feel old) and I'm trying to learn how to bead so I can make my own stitch markers.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I'm really picky about the music I listen to. Mostly alternative stuff: Sarah Mclachlan, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Depeche Mode, Cure, Filter. But I also like Moxy Fruvous, INXS, Nickelback, Aerosmith, Rush. I do not like country music, most top 40, or rap. I would assume that this computer would play mp3's but I don't download music.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I like jewel tones/winter colors. Mostly blues and forest green type colors. I also like black, grey, and blue-based red(as opposed to the tomato-like orange-red). I cannot stand fall colors(oranges or browns especially) and most pastels. For sock yarn though I like about anything.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Husband, Little Diva Daughter(5), Little Rage Son(3 in December), and two Tonkinese cats-Bailey and Kahlua(almost 9--October 20).

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
Raise good kids who grow into responsible and productive adults. Go back to work as a middle school reading teacher. Retire in St. George, Utah or someplace similar. Oh, and how about winning millions in the lottery(obviously a long shot).

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I like Knit Picks yarns--especially their sock yarns and lace yarns, I haven't tried merino style, but would like to, and some of their new ones look cool too. I like Opal sock yarns(when I can find them), Lorna's Laces, Koigu, Noro Kureyon(that stuff is sooooo much fun!!), Socks that Rock sock yarn, Brown Sheep's Cotton Fleece(it's so soft), Encore Worsted, Dreambaby DK, Heilo, and Dale Baby Ull. I like a lot of stuff I find at Elann as well.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I do not like novelty yarns--if it's furry, shiny, bumpy, or weird it's out.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I love knitting socks and sweaters. And lately, I'm loving Fair Isle, Norwegian, and Aran Knitting. I really, really, really want to learn to do Fair Isle well; I took a class in Norwegian knitting last year but I'd like to take a Fair Isle one(if I can find one) this year--I even ordered Knit Picks Palette sampler for inspiration. I'm getting ready to start my first Dale Olympic sweater(Albertville)--I love the Dale Olympic patterns; I've collected quite a few.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Socks--they're portable and go pretty quickly.

17. What are you knitting right now?
My second Rogue, a lace shawl(from A Gathering of Lace), A scarf for Little Diva(from Nursery Rhyme Knits), A hooded T from Artful yarns. I also have to knit a sweater for each kiddo for winter which I'll be starting shortly.

18. What do you think about ponchos?
Not my thing. Personally, I believe, that unless you are a stick you tend to look like an oompa-loompa in a poncho.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
circular--I'm an Addi addict :) And I like double points--why isn't that a choice?

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
Aluminum or bamboo.

21. Are you a sock knitter?
Oh yes.

22. How did you learn to knit?
I took a class at my favorite LYS in Utah in 2003.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?
It's the scarf for my daughter; I started it in winter 04. I think it's not getting anywhere because I really dislike scarves.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
Squidward or Plankton from Spongebob are my favorite animated characters and Greyhounds are my favorite animal(once my kids are older I want to adopt at least one).

25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas

26. Is there anything that you collect?
You mean besides knitting related stuff and cross stitch patterns. Hmmmmm, I guess books, cardinal stuff(the red bird)--my grandma loves them and they remind me of her, and stitch markers.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have a subscription to Interweave. I've thought about getting a subscription to Stranded but I think I'd have to see a copy first(I just can't decide which issue to order). I used to subscribe to Knitter's but it's getting a little too weird for me.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I like a lot of the Rowan books(or are they magazines?), but I usually have a hard time finding them. I think Vicki Howell's new book looks cool as well. The new Vogue stitch book looks pretty cool. And of course I'm always looking for the holy grail of knitting books, Starmore's Aran Knitting. I'm always hoping that someday I'll find a copy of it for less than $200, but who isn't LOL!

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
Top of the list right now is the Dale of Norway Torino pattern and the Colorado Springs pattern. I like some of the pullover patterns from Blackwater Abbey but I haven't gotten any yet. Some of their Celtic ones are awesome! Most of the patterns in Aran Knitting--but I don't ever expect to have them(see reason above). I love Miriam's Adamas Shawl pattern but it hasn't been published yet and of course her other shawl which hopefully will be in print very soon :)

30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
My foot is 9 inches long and I like most socks except anklets.

I have never done a secret pal thing before and I'm really excited about it. If there is anything else that you need to know, just let me know :)
Aloha:)

No comments: