Wednesday, September 14, 2005

SBQ and Well Said

Why do you blog? I have been pondering this very thing. I started blogging as a way of getting my progress out there with my knitting(especially for friends and family to don't get to see it live). Everything on my blog has been put there for various reasons: to remember a link, to remember a joke, to remember what I have been knitting, to have an avenue to showcase things I enjoy, to remember where some of my favorite reads are, and probably other things that aren't popping into my head right now. I am honored and stunned that anyone would want to read/see what I have to say or what I have been doing. I feel like I have made friends through blogging--people with similar interests and people who understand the mania that knitting(and stitching and any other hobby of choice) can bring. The reason I bring all this up is this post from Knitting on an Island--it captured many of the things that I have been thinking about--very well said.

On to SBQ:

Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by AngelSan
(http://angelsan.free.fr/blog.php) and is:

Do you stitch for events like weddings, engagements, or other things
that might not last? If you have been unlucky and the two people broke
up, what happened to your stitched gift?


I only stitch gifts for immediate family(parents, sisters) and very rarely close friends who I KNOW will appreciate the time and effort that goes into a piece. I have done a couple of wedding pieces, but I would never do an engagement one--too iffy. If, God forbid, a couple broke up I would have no problem asking for the piece back--to me it's like a pet you buy from a breeder; they are always willing to take it back--well with all the time that goes into a stitching (or knitting project for that matter) project, I'd definitely want to take it back and give it a proper home :)

2 comments:

margene said...

The reasons most people blog are just what you said. We want a connection with others and to show our knitting. There are as many different opinions as there are bloggers. Find the people that speak to you, who are positive influences on your life. Don't expect a blogger to be what you want them to be or try to change the way someone is. Find those with whom you share a connection. There are true friendships formed here and others not worth your time. It’s much like real life.

Andrea said...

Speaking of iffy engagements...mine is off. After a lot of struggling and trying and working on it, I decided to move out, and we came to a sort of mutual decision last Friday. Which is pretty much why I have been absent from the blog world lately. It's the right thing, and it will be a good thing in the long-run I think, though it is very sad and difficult now.

Anyway, didn't mean to send such an unexpectedly heavy reply to your post, but it seemed applicable.