Thursday, September 01, 2005

SBQ and Booking Through Thursday

Firstly, hooray SBQ was suggested by me this week :) It was a totally selfish question as I am trying to decide whether or not to buy a scroll frame.

Today's "Stitching Blogger's Question" was suggested by a Kim
(http://knitterinprogress.blogspot.com/) and is:
What do you use to hold your fabric while you stitch? A hoop, a Q-Snap, a scroll frame, something else, or do you stitch in hand?


I use Q-snaps right now. I have quite the collection so I am able to make just about any size.

Have you always used just the one thing or have you tried one or more of
the others?


I started by stitching with a hoop and YUCK was it a pain and it really mangled your stitches if the whole piece didn't fit into the hoop frame. Then I went through my "in hand" period; I didn't really like stitching in hand either--it was too difficult to maintain tension. Then about 13 years ago(has it been that long) I was introduced to Q-snaps and I haven't looked back. I really would like to try a scroll frame, but most of the pieces I do are so large I'm not sure how a scroll would work.

Which do you like best? Why?

Of the ones I have tried Q-snaps are by far my favorite.

Booking Through Thursday



  1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what three books would you want to have with you?Lord of the Rings(complete volume), The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, and Dance with the Devil(Sherrilyn Kenyon)

  2. Why?Lord of the Rings because it is long and I haven't read it. I also think that multiple readings would allow you to really learn every nuance of the story. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare also because it is long and rereading all that will keep your brain going. Dance with the Devil because it is my favorite Kenyon book and you need something trashy to read if you're all alone on a desert island--it can't all be highbrow :)

  3. Is this list different than it would have been ten years ago? How?Yes, except for Shakespeare(he's always on the list for me). Ten years ago I was more into Anne Rice so many of her books would have been on the list. Frankly, I would need more than three books with me, but I did my best to narrow it down.



This morning I was thinking about the disaster inflicted by Katrina(I mean, how can you not). I have never been to New Orleans but I had always wanted to go. So many of the books I read are set there and I really felt an attachment to the city. The task ahead of us with that city(and all the other areas hit) is daunting to say the least. I can't even imagine what it must be like for the people there. It goes without saying that if there is anything any of us can do, we should do it. Margene had a suggestion today.

Count your blessings.
Happy knitting, stitching, and reading,
aloha:)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'd look this up if I weren't at work and shouldn't be on the internet at all, but what's a Q-snap? I just started doing a little kitschy embroidery, and I'm interested to hear there's an option besides a hoop. :)

Lelia said...

Good SBQ .... I didn't get around to my response (yet). Been bummed about Katrina & etc. My heart really isn't very creative right now. For samplers, I like a lap frame (K's Creation) and use it on my desk with a weight. q-snaps are ok, too. Love your book selections, too. Check out Chloe's Place (blog) .... she has a fantastic post re. buttons.