Monday, August 22, 2005

Shoebox Doll, Stash Enrichment, Rotation

Last week I got this pattern from Patternworks:

Shoebox Pattern

Then Little Diva and I went to JoAnn's and I let her pick out supplies. After one day of stitching and two days of finishing we have this:

Shoebox Doll

I had NO control of the color choices here; the white hair and odd colored eyes are all Little Diva's doing. She marches to the beat of her own drummer; she's the same way with her clothes--she loves to wear two different colored socks("because I can, Mommy"). The pattern was lots of fun even with the loads of finishing I had to do. We plan on picking out fabric for "Lemon's" shoebox bed this week.

My husband actually had the weekend off--it almost NEVER happens. SO on Saturday I said I was going out ALONE(a rarity for me). Of course, Saturday + out alone=yarn shops :) I went to A Knitted Peace which was a big mistake as it was "Western something Weekend" and it took me longer to walk to and from the shop than the actual time I was in there. All the streets near the shop were closed or filled with parked cars. But I got supplies for a hat from She Ewe Knits so I can get back in the swing of things with two colored knitting.

Then I thought I would drive home, but first I'd stop for a Jamba Juice(strawberries wild, yum). Low and behold a new yarn shop has opened. So, of course, I had to partake of String. First thing I loved about this shop, all the yarn is arranged by color--I gotta say that I like it. Second thing I love about this shop--it's like 5 miles from my house. Third, the owner's were very helpful and nice. That being said much of what was in there was really expensive; fine if you're making a scarf, but I don't think that I would buy sweater yarn there. But I did come away with this(heilo is from A Knitted Peace/sock yarn and sheep from String):

Stash Enhancement

I finally got a black sheep. I'm sure that everyone has seen it's cousin, but there is only one black sheep per pack SO they are very difficult to find. I'm thinking that years from now the black sheep will be like the "pink chibi"; cool but hard to find ;)

I also enhanced my cross stitch stash this weekend by purchasing two charts from Heaven and Earth Designs. These are on par with Goldenkite as far as difficulty and I say bring it on. I don't care if I may never finish it and will have to will it to my daughter to finish; I like the challenge!

Finally, I have been pondering a rotation. I have so much I want to do that I'm getting kind of overwhelmed; so I am toying with the idea of a rotation to see if that helps clear my head a little. Being the commitment/obligation phobe that I am, I will try it for the month of September first. I'll reevaluate after that. First on the "get it done" list is my hooded T. Finally, it has sleeves; I just have to finish the hood :)

Hooded T

Happy "end of summer",
aloha :)

5 comments:

Chef Messy said...

Wow, I'd be willing to commit a good number of felonies for a weekend alone!

Wanda said...

That's a cute little doll you made for your daughter and nice that she got to pick out the colors for yarn and everything. Hope to see you tonight at knitting.

The Hooded T is looking awesome.

Michelle said...

Oooh. Glad to hear a review of String. I can't make it to Tattered Cover tonight so I won't get to stop over there either. I'll have to put that on my to-do list. :D

At the beginning of the year I did a weekly rotation. One week on one project, next week on another. It worked out for a couple of months until I just couldn't take it anymore because it would be 3 months between project time - due to the number of items I'd cast on, of course. Ha.

margene said...

The doll is soooo darling!

Stacey said...

I love the little doll! So cute! Your daughter/diva sounds like a girl after my own heart. I had to stop in to Strings this week too...it's definitely dangerous that it is so close to my house. I now have 2 yarn shops within 5 miles of my house! Yikes!