Thursday, July 28, 2005

Booking Through Thursday

No knitting content today--hopefully a finished object will be coming in the next couple of days :)

Happy knitting and reading,
Aloha:)

Onto this weeks "Booking Through Thursday" question:

Booking Through Thursday


I bought a sweatshirt for my husband some years ago that says, "Celebrate freedom. Read a banned book." The shirt then goes on to list ten books that were currently banned somewhere in these United States. Here are a few examples: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger, The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, The Call of the Wild by Jack London, and Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. (For more information, see banned books online, and other sources.)


  1. Have you ever knowingly read a banned book?

  2. Yes, and pardon the mini-rant here but when are people going to realize that banning anything is pretty much a sure way to get anyone to do it/read it. What really sets me off are the people(usually devoutly religious) who want to ban something without even reading it--I have no problem with someone's religious beliefs dictating what they read/do BUT when that person's beliefs start dictating what I should do then we have a problem. I noticed that many of the books in the link were "classics" that I have read and even taught--I wouldn't ban them for content--maybe for being outdated and colossally boring(I'm actually thinking of everything I was required to read in my American Lit. class in college--you want a good nights sleep? Go buy Norton's Anthology of American Literature).

  3. Have you read any of the books I listed above?

  4. Yes, all of them at one time or another.

  5. Knowing that the above books have been banned, would you read them now? Why?


Yes,if they were of interest to me(some where required reading and getting through the torturous hell once was enough for me). I am emphatically against banning books; I think what a person chooses to read is a personal choice. And barring blatant profanity I think they should part of school curriculums(I mean banning "Huck Finn", come on).

3 comments:

Michele said...

Yep...I totally agree with your post...take care. I love the book posts.

Andrea said...

I usually find that if a book is banned, then that is a sign that it is a great book. (Of course, I also kinda like my Norton Anthology of American Literature...)

Okay, maybe that doesn't always apply, because, come to think of it, I remember distinctly that my biggest personal experience with books being banned was in elementary school, probably in 6th grade, when Denae McBride's mother called the school and made them take the Sweet Valley High books out of the library. I seriously doubt that anyone would try to lump those into the "great books" category. But you can be sure that I read them, and no doubt on principle at that point. (I was also the only 12-year-old I knew with a pin that read "I survived the Reagan years.")

Lelia said...

Thought we were in a free society. Reading opens our minds. If you aren't interested in the book, close it .... same with tv, radio, etc -- change the channel ; )