Wednesday, June 15, 2005

SBQ(part2) and Blanket-a-thon Progress

Here's how baby blanket #3 is progressing thus far. I have 24" of 36" completed and I have 13 days to do it(with movers factored into the equation)--can I do it? I think I can--we shall see. I really like the blanket but it's not the kind of thing you want to work on when it's hot out--plus I'm dying to dive headlong into my lace stash!!


Blanket-a-thon progress

Happy Knitting and Stitching(for those that read on),
Aloha:)

On the cross stitching front--these are the designs that made me REALLY, REALLY want to stitch again--the Lavender and Lace Celtic designs. I had three of the five in my stash and I got the last two in the mail yesterday!!!! Now to find time for all the stuff I want to do:)


Celtic Candy

SBQ(Part 2)
What are your thoughts on craft and/or needlework shows? Have you been
to one or are you planning on going to one this year?


I like the idea of shows whether it's for cross stitch or other crafts--it lets you see what's out there and maybe take classes to gain new skills. I'm not planning on attending one this year--unless it's held within about 100 miles of where I live.

How has your stitching evolved since you first started stitching?

Well I started with Precious Moments designs and now I have moved up to Goldenkite, Lavender and Lace, and TW designs--pretty big change in that respect:) I also started on stitching only with aida but that all changed once I tried linen--now it's just about all I'll use.

What is your next specialty stitch?

I don't know if this counts as a specialty stitch but I'd like to try some of the openwork designs--like TW uses in some of her samplers.

Do you "stitch with the seasons?" (This could be reflected by the
colors that you stitch with, the themes that you choose, or even that
during your favorite season you stitch more (or less) than in others.)


Does stitching seasonal designs count(like the Celtic Ladies mentioned above)? I would say that I get more stitching done in the winter than in the summer. And as far as colors I prefer more jewel tones and wintery type colors.

Have you ever been asked to do model stitching?
Did you do it? If so, what was your compensation? (money, stash,
etc.) If not, why not?
If you haven't done it, if you were asked would you? Why or why
not?


No, I haven't and I don't know that I would do it--I am REALLY bad at stitching for a deadline. I did "The Wedding" by Lavender and Lace for my sister's wedding. I started it when she got engaged with plans of giving it to her on her wedding day--well I did---her 5 year anniversary to be exact:) So as you can see stitching deadlines aren't good for me!

Do you set stitching goals?

I try to but they seem to go terribly wrong(see above)--setting a deadline seems to guarantee I won't finish something.

What is your opinion of Internet "freebies?"

I love freebies--it let's you try out a designer on a small scale. They also sometimes make great "quickie" gifts.


Given the option, would you rather buy a chart and get the material
and floss together yourself, or buy a pre-packed kit?


Buy the chart--I've spent so much time building up my DMC stash that a kit would be counter productive. Unless they gave you a kit with the fabric, specialty threads, beads, and non DMC extras.

How many strands of floss to you prefer to stitch with? Why?

1 doubled over the needle to create 2--it lets you start on the back with out having to stitch over the end--fewer things to weave in=neater back in my opinion.

How do you deal a "stitching slump?"

I try not to force it--I'm coming out of a major slump right now--stitching when I don't feel like it just leads to mistakes--making me dislike it even more.

What do you like *least* about cross stitching?

Backstitching--I can't stand it. You finish stitching a piece then you have to "trace" over it--it drives me insane--I have nearly finished objects that have remained that way just because of backstitching. Blended stitches and constantly changing colors comes in a close second and third(hence my love hate relationship with TW designs)

Do you feel the need to stitch a design from a specific designer just
to say that you've experienced stitching one of their designs?


Not really I generally stitch what I like. I may look at a design or even purchase it though--just to have it onhand.

Whew!! All caught up:)

2 comments:

Michele said...

What a lovely baby blanket....and what perfect timing to be moving on to lace weight yarn in the summer. I totally agree with your backstitching comment :)

Andrea said...

Wow, those Celtic designs are beautiful! Still, I'll just appreciate them in theory, because I don't think there's anything that could make me take up cross stitch. :)