Thursday, June 23, 2005

SBQ, Booking Through Thursday, and "Sewing Stuff"

The SBQ question of the day:

Are there any types of designs that you won't stitch?


Yes, I really don't like the "cutesy" type of designs(Alma Lynne comes to mind most prominently)--I don't think there is anything wrong with them they just seem like more of a beginner thing to do. Also, I tend to like more detail in the pieces I stitch. I also don't like most band samplers(although I have done a couple Shepherd's Bush pieces that I really like) and "rustic" looking pieces. Geez, apparently I'm pretty picky--I didn't think so until I started to answer this:)

"Booking Through Thursday" Question:
Probably most books stand on their own. But a lot of them are part of a series. J.R.R. Tolkein's Lord of the Rings trilogy comes immediately to mind, as well as Stephen R. Donaldson's Gap series, Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody series, and lots more.
Do you read books that are part of a series?
Do you collect all the books in the series before starting?
What if the series is brand new, and the only book that's been published so far is Book 1?
As subsequent books in the series are published, do you go back and re-read the preceding books?


Oh boy, I'm LOVING this week's questions. A most resounding YES, I seem to read a bunch of books that are part of a series(Dark Hunter series--Sherilynn Kenyon, Anita Blake series--Laurel Hamilton, Harry Potter--JKRowling, Merry Gentry series--also by Laurell Hamilton, Sword of Truth series--Terry Goodkind, and Lord of the Rings is on the list to be read(I hate to admit I haven't since I love the movies so much). I don't collect them before starting--I need to read one first to decide if I like it and it has to be the first one in the series; I can't stand starting something in the middle. I actually have read a book that is the first(and only until August) in its series--it's Eragon by Christopher Paolini--it's the first book in the Inheritance series. I sometimes go back and reread them--although I haven't read book 5 in the Harry Potter series after my initial reading--I was too traumatized by events in that book to reread it and as for the others some aren't really that interdependent and some of the series are too long for me to reread all of them before a new one comes out.

Okay well that covers my weekly memes. So onto the business at hand. I have turned the heel on my Chutes and Ladder sock for the Six Sox Knitalong--I got a lot done today as I watched the movers pack my house(it really calms me down to knit when I'm stressed; otherwise, I'd be hovering over the packers). So between keeping the kids occupied, answering mover questions, filling out paper work, and stressing, I actually got some knitting done. At the end of the day I have to go around with the packers and check the numbered boxes(178 thank you very much). You know when you move and write a comment on each box so you know what it's for? Well, "upstairs packer guy" writes this on my four or so boxes of KNITTING stuff--"SEWING supplies/books". Is it wrong that I wanted to sit him down and point out the not so subtle difference between sewing and knitting? And not only that but I happened to be upstairs during packing of said items and promptly left upon seeing how he was manhandling my treasured knitting books--is it possible that there are people out there who do not understand the value of a Starmore book or my Barbara Walker treasuries? Rather than sit him down for a stern lecture(which could have resulted in a worse beating for my treasured texts), I came downstairs and started knitting(but I will hunt the man down if there is a crinkled page or any damage whatsoever) :)

Happy knitting, stitching, and reading,
Aloha:)

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Ooh, the idea of movers abusing things like my books PAINS me, I tell you! That right there is the reason I could probably never have movers pack up everything for me. I'm just too much of a control freak. Of course, if I were herding two young children around the house on my own, I'd probably change my tune very quickly...