Wednesday, June 29, 2005

SBQ and a Journey

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Or in my case the journey begins with not one but three screaming fits down the isle of numerous flights. I love my son--please don't doubt that for a second--I love him with every fiber of my being. That being said, flying with the boy is much like spending time with the demon spawn of Satan. For all three flights on Tuesday, he took one look at the entry to the plane, threw himself to the ground, and screamed bloody murder while I dragged him, his carseat, his diaper bag, and my backpack down the isle of three crowded planes. Luckily(for me and all onboard)he zipped it once he was securely hooked into his seat. I understand fear of flying and apprehension(on maybe one flight), but the same display on three planes was almost a bit more than my nerves could handle. But we made it and here we are in scenic Buffalo. As much as I would love to show you pictures of the above mentioned displays, I can't--I don't have the software I need here(nor did I have the time or hands to take pictures--although I would LOVE to have had some pictures of "babyrage 2005"). Just a word of caution for any of you as foolish as I, if you decide to fly with two children under five(by yourself) and all the "stuff" that goes along with them, I guarantee that NONE of your connecting gates will be anywhere near each other(I'm not even sure the one in Dallas was in the same zip code)--so start your marathon training now ;)

On the knitting front: I have turned the heel on my first sock in the second year of the Six Sox Knitalong--I want to have the socks done by the end of my trip. I am also in the process of attempting to convert my mother and sister(baby blanket #3 recipient) to knitting--wish me luck in my desire to spread the madness :) I also plan on having a good chunk of the Wives and Daughters read by the end of my trip(it's the second book in the Knit the Classics Knitalong)

Now onto this weeks SBQ:

Thanks to Karen F. (http://stitchmania.blogspirit.com/) for today's
"Stitching Blogger's Question" and that is:

When starting a new project, do you start in the middle? If you do,
once you've worked down to the bottom, do you turn your chart and
fabric around so that you are stitching the top section downwards
again or do you just stitch upwards from the middle?


I have always started my projects in the middle even though sometimes it is nearly impossible to find it(especially on multi page patterns). I just stitch upwards from the middle. I would love to try and start a project at one of the corners but I'm always afraid I'll miscalculate and have a HUGE mess on my hands.

Happy knitting and stitching!!
Aloha:)

3 comments:

Michele said...

Your travel story made me smile and remember traveling alone with my two kids (both under five at the time) on a 5 hours flight to Seattle...whew, I felt like a deserved a medal for surviving that...you're a champ! Hope all is well. for what it's worth, back in my stitching days I always started in the middle too :) Take care.

Andrea said...

Sounds more like an ordeal than a journey! Poor little tyke, but even worse for you! I'll bet you were thinking, "ah, so this is why parents drug their kids for flights."

Good luck with your quest to convert your mom and sister, and have a wonderful visit in Buffalo!

Kim said...

Heehee, drugs for the kids? I'm thinking drugs for the parents would be better! *Shudder*...makes me SO excited for the moving process!