Saturday, May 14, 2005

2005 A Lace Odyssey


2005 A Lace Odyssey

Here are some pictures of my progress in the Gathering of Lacealong. After 6--count them 6--false starts(none of which getting past row 11), I finally think I'm getting the hang of this lace thing. You know that Zen feeling you're supposed to get when you knit(hence knitting being the "new yoga")? Well, this is putting me nowhere near that zone. I must say that I'm really glad I chose the "beginner's triangle" from the book, because anything else and I would have had some kind of breakdown.


close up

I do really love this yarn. I don't have any other to compare it to; as I have never knit lace before, but I love the color and now that I've gotten the hang of knitting with it; it's not too bad. I thought sock yarn was small--this seems even smaller--a problem that may be exacerbated by my choice of using addi turbos to try lace knitting on. After swatching a bit I decided to use size 4 needles--I like the texture I'm getting with it, but my question to all you lace knitters out there is-- how is this thin, flimsy fabric supposed to help keep you warm--to me it's purely decorative.


Cherry Kool Aid

As you can see the above picture is not lace, but I had to show someone nonetheless. It's my first attempt at Kool Aid dying. I bought a few hanks of the Knitpicks dye-your-own sock yarn, cherry Kool Aid, and got to work. I used 5 packs, but I think next time I'll use more as it could have been a little darker. My plan is to use it for the first sock in year 2 of the six sox knitalong.

Well, there's yard work to be done(thrilling, I know). It's actually a nice, SUNNY day here in Utah.

Have a great weekend!
Aloha :)

8 comments:

Janice in GA said...

You would be surprised at how warm a thin, flimsy shawl can keep you! Of course, if there's much wind, all bets are off. But in still air, it's warmer than you'd think it would be.

Michele said...

Glad the weather is sunny and I think your lace creation is lovely.

Calamintha the Rogue Lace Knitter said...

Most lace knitters prefer to use needles with sharp points. Addis are too blunt. I think you will find the knitting easier if you switch to sharper needles. With this yarn I would suggest either the regular Inox (teflon gray) or Crystal Palace bamboo needles. Good luck, lace is addictive!

Bliss said...

Addi turbos are very slick, which I would think would make lace more difficult. Addi does make bamboo circs, which I like (called Addi Natura) but they aren't real sharp either.

Inox (teflon coated) would be a good alternative. Not their nickle coated, which are slick like addis.

I have never had any luck with Crystal Palace needles. The joins come loose (twice with me before knitting a stitch.) I returned them to the company for exchange...and guess what...they sent me more defective needles. Bah!

Many lace knitters like Balene II Circulars (nice sharp points.) I have some on the way to me, haven't tried them yet.

Good luck with your first lace project - looking great so far!

Kim said...

Thanks for the comments everyone :) I will try using my bamboo needles for a while, but the problem I ran into when I was swatching was that my stitches where really sticking to the needle(I knit tightly anyway, so it's even more frustrating)and that's why I switched to addis--I may try to find a pair of Inox's though. Happy knitting :)

Andrea said...

Hooray for lace! I've been jonesing to knit some lace lately myself!! I even bought a copy of A Gathering of Lace today when I was at the Wool Cabin in SLC, but I don't think that I'll join the knitalong. I can't wait to watch your progress. Oh, and I am by no means an expert, but I knit my Charlotte's Web on Addi gold-plated needles, which don't seem all that different from the Turbos, and that seemed fine to me. But I've also knit lace on bamboo. Maybe I'm just not picky? Wait, I take it back, I had to knit my lace cowl out of Rowan Kidsilk Haze on bamboo, because I just couldn't make it work on turbos. Guess I'm picky after all. (I've also had like three margaritas, so I realize I'm rambling...)

Andrea said...

BTW, I meant to tell you, some of your buttons keep showing up as broken pics on my computer when I view your page. Just white boxes with the little red x's in them. The designedlykristi one, zeneedle, the gatheringlacealong, the knitlette, and chicknits. Might just be me, but I thought I'd let you know just in case.

margene said...

I've been a super slacker on the lace. I love that color and your shawl is going to be beautiful!